The repetitive 31 Nights of Halloween 

0
4

Freeform’s ‘The Official 31 Nights of Halloween 2019 Movie Schedule’ has some out-of-place movies on the list that don’t exactly remind one of Halloween.  Photo by    David Menidrey    on    Unsplash   . Thumbnail photo by    Mel Poole    on    Unsplash   .

Freeform’s ‘The Official 31 Nights of Halloween 2019 Movie Schedule’ has some out-of-place movies on the list that don’t exactly remind one of Halloween. Photo by David Menidrey on Unsplash. Thumbnail photo by Mel Poole on Unsplash.

Freeform recently released this year’s ‘The Official 31 Nights of Halloween 2019 Movie Schedule,’ and it’s looking a little questionable this year. 

Among the many horror, supernatural and Halloween-themed movies on Freeform’s 31 Nights of Halloween queue, there seems to be a few films that are just completely out of place. While “Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory” has a single trick-or-treating scene and a candy theme, the rest of the movie is void of monsters, ghosts and scares. For goodness sake, it takes place around Christmas for the most part! “Hook,” “Finding Nemo” and “Iron Man” are also oddballs, where their only correlation with the holiday seems to be children’s ability to dress like the movie characters. It seems as if the only reason movies such as “Moana,” “The Incredibles” and “101 Dalmatians” could possibly make sense on this list is to make the whole thing a little more family friendly. That, or there aren’t as many Halloween movies out there as we thought. 

There are several events throughout the month to spice things up. This includes a double feature of “The Addams Family” and “Addams Family Values” on 12 of the 31 days, a “Scream”-a-thon of the first three “Scream” movies on Oct. 12, Oct. 18 and Oct. 28 and a “Hocus Pocus” marathon on Halloween itself. Now, what is a “Hocus Pocus” marathon, being that there is only one “Hocus Pocus” movie? It basically means that from 12:30 p.m. to midnight they are going to play “Hocus Pocus” back-to-back five times. Luckily, they mix things up at midnight, ending the 31 Nights of Halloween with a showing of “Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed.” 

If you’re afraid you might miss one of your favorite Halloween classics this month, don’t worry! Freeform plans on playing “Hocus Pocus” 30 times, either “Scooby-Doo (2000)” or “Scooby-Doo: Monsters Unleashed” 24 times, “Monster House” nine times, “The Nightmare Before Christmas” 10 times, either the first or second “Ghostbusters” 13 times, “Hotel Transylvania” 12 times, “The Haunted Mansion” nine times and “The Corpse Bride” seven times. While repeats are nice for fans of these movies, it’s a little sad Freeform isn’t offering much variety. “Hocus Pocus” is a good movie, after all, but I don’t think anyone can watch it 30 times in a month without wanting to change the channel. 

Many people commented on this year’s lineup negatively. They want the Disney original movies like “Halloween Town” or “Twitches,” which probably isn’t possible since those belong to Disney, but they also want “Beetlejuice,” “Casper the Friendly Ghost” and other classics. Most of them were complaining at the sheer number of repeats. Others complained about the poor time slots for the good movies they’re not repeating daily, like “Edward Scissorhands” and “Dark Shadows.” 

Although this lineup has its faults, it’s sure to be a lot of fun to check out if you’re hoping to get into the spirit of Halloween. 

Rebecca Maher is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rebecca.l.maher@uconn.edu.