Volleyball: Conference season begins with ups and downs in Florida 

0
4

The UConn women's volleyball team takes on Boston College at Gamble Pavilion on September 6, 2019. The match went to 5 sets, with Boston College taking the 3-2 win.   Photo by Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus

The UConn women’s volleyball team takes on Boston College at Gamble Pavilion on September 6, 2019. The match went to 5 sets, with Boston College taking the 3-2 win.

Photo by Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus

Following its sweep of last week’s Dog Pound Challenge, the UConn women’s volleyball team traveled to Florida to commence its series of conference matches in The American Athletic Conference. The Huskies finished the weekend with two different experiences to reflect on: A 0-3 loss against UCF and a 3-0 win against USF.  

On Friday, UConn (7-7, 1-1 The American) could not keep up with the UCF Knights (8-5, 2-0 The American) in The Venue at UCF. The closest final score out of the three sets was still an eight-point gap. UCF was consistently dominant with a match average hitting percentage of .411 over the Huskies’ .53. The Huskies had more attempted kills, but the Knights brought a strong defense. On top of kills, UCF also had higher numbers of successful blocks and digs. Although UConn has shown its ability to come back from large point deficits in past matches, UCF’s all-around readiness suppressed the Huskies’ ability to muster a comeback. 

The Huskies reversed the roles of the first match as they swept USF (7-9, 1-1 The American) in Tampa on Sunday, leading by at least eight points by the end of each set. The Huskies were stronger on the court than the Bulls in every respect. The third set was highlighted by a hitting percentage of .452, leading to a game average of .324 in comparison to .057 by USF. A total of 43 successful kills, 49 digs and nine blocks were earned by the Huskies. UConn seemed to take the treatment it was given by UCF and give it to USF. Redshirt junior middle blocker Genna Florig capitalized on the match with nine kills and six blocks and redshirt sophomore setter Courtney Morris had 34 assists and 13 digs. 

While the two matches had contrasting results, some UConn players had notable performances in both. Sophomore outside hitter Caylee Parker gained a total of 21 kills and redshirt junior defensive specialist Avery Spaziani added 22 digs to her record this weekend. 

UConn continues its conference conquest on the road this Friday against Temple (9-4, 0-2 The American) in Philadelphia. 

Judah Shingleton is a senior staff photographer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at judah.shingleton@uconn.edu. He tweets @ByJudah.