Melissa’s Menu: Fall harvest bowl

0
2

All of the fall flavors you love come together beautifully in this week’s recipe. This fall-inspired harvest bowl is packed with so many different textures, flavors, and colors. Not only is it super healthy and easy to make, but it’s a delicious and filling recipe. Each bite has the perfect balance of sweet and savory. Apple cider vinegar and red onions add some tangy notes that mesh so well with the sweetness from dried cranberries and sweet potatoes and earthy flavors from kale and brussel sprouts. This recipe can also be easily modified to incorporate any other flavors you’d like to add. It’s almost too pretty to eat, but once you take a bite you’ll want to keep making this recipe again and again.  

Ingredients 

Easy fall harvest bowl recipe that filled with textures and flavors for that perfect bite.   Photo by     rawpixel.com     from     Pexels

Easy fall harvest bowl recipe that filled with textures and flavors for that perfect bite. Photo by rawpixel.com from Pexels

For the dressing: 

1/4 cup of apple cider 

1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar 

2/3 cup of olive oil 

1/2 shallot, minced 

1 tablespoon of dijon mustard 

1 teaspoon of honey 

Kosher salt 

Freshly ground black pepper 

For the bowls: 

1 lb. of brussel sprouts, trimmed and halved 

1 red onion, sliced 

2 sweet potatoes, cut into small cubes 

2 tablespoons of olive oil, divided 

1 teaspoon of dried thyme 

Kosher salt 

Freshly ground black pepper 

3 cups of sliced grilled chicken 

2 cups of finely sliced kale 

1/2 cup of dried cranberries 

1/2 cup of sliced almonds 

1/4 cup of shaved parmesan 

3 cups of cooked brown rice  

Directions 

Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. On a large parchment-lined baking sheet, mix brussel sprouts, sweet potato and red onion with one tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and thyme. Bake until vegetables are tender, which should take around 25 to 30 minutes.  

Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette. In a large bowl, whisk cider, vinegar, olive oil, shallot, mustard and honey until smooth and combined. Season with salt and pepper. In a medium bowl, mix kale with cranberries and almonds. Add 1/3 cup of prepared dressing to salad and toss. To assemble the bowls: Top one cup of rice with one cup of the roasted vegetables, 1/2 cup of the salad, and one cup of chicken. Top with a drizzle of dressing and serve. 

Melissa Scrivani is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.