HomeNewsWorld War II aircraft crashes at Bradley Airport, killing seven

World War II aircraft crashes at Bradley Airport, killing seven

B-17 bomber , a WWII aircraft, crashed upon landing Bradley International Airport in Hartford, CT.  AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli

B-17 bomber , a WWII aircraft, crashed upon landing Bradley International Airport in Hartford, CT. AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli

Seven are dead and seven others were injured after a B-17 bomber crashed upon landing at Bradley International Airport in Hartford shortly before 10 a.m. Wednesday morning.  

According to the Hartford Courant, the plane crashed into a nearby shed while trying to make an emergency landing. 

“We can confirm there was an accident involving a Collings Foundation World War II aircraft this morning at Bradley Airport,” Bradley International Airport tweeted. “We have an active fire and rescue operation underway. The airport is closed.” 

Six airplane passengers survived the crash with minor to critical injuries, state public safety commissioner James Rovella told the Courant. 

The airplane, one of five vintage-style aircraft visiting Bradley Airport this week for tours and flights, was largely consumed by the fire, the Courant reported. The left-wing and tail appear to be all that remains of it. 

Ashley Anglisano is the associate news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu.