Volleyball: McGonigle awaits the Huskies 

0
3

Coming off a strong weekend where they went 3-0 against USF, the UConn volleyball team is headed to Philadelphia to take on conference foe Temple Owls.  Photo by Brandon Barzola / The Daily Campus.

Coming off a strong weekend where they went 3-0 against USF, the UConn volleyball team is headed to Philadelphia to take on conference foe Temple Owls. Photo by Brandon Barzola / The Daily Campus.

The UConn women’s volleyball team will go on the road to play its third conference game of the season against Temple Owls. Coming off of a 3-0 win against USF, UConn looks to continue to execute on the court. 

Temple (9-4, 0-2 The American) will host their first home conference game of the season, starting with the Huskies at McGonigle Hall. The Owls will look to find an answer to what has been missing for their team after starting the season 9-0 and putting a dent in their record with their last four games played.  

Momentum is clearly on the Huskies side, something they’ll need to take advantage of if they want to walk away with another win.  Photo by Brandon Barzola / The Daily Campus.

Momentum is clearly on the Huskies side, something they’ll need to take advantage of if they want to walk away with another win. Photo by Brandon Barzola / The Daily Campus.

Sophomore Gem Grinshaw is a strong force for the Owls. Grinshaw averages 3.3 kills per set, while junior Averi Salvador is a top defender with 4.98 digs per set. Standing at 6’1, Grimshaw is the main source of the Owl’s points with the help of setter Tyler Lindergren, who averages 9.1 assists per set. Salvador is ranked amongst the top defensive players in the conference and holds the fourth rank in digs per set. 

The Huskies (7-7, 1-1 The American) have such a dynamic team this year that it’d be a sight to see if Salvador can keep up with the likes of Caylee Parker, Kennadie Jake-Turner and Jasmine Davis, who all lead the Huskies in kills. Parker averages 3.49 kills per set with Jake-Turner and Davis contributing, as well. The Huskies have a strong forefront, especially with players like Genna Florig at the net and Courtney Morris facilitating the game as the setter.  

The Huskies have gone through their games taking it one point at a time as Parker and Florig have mentioned on numerous occasions, and are sure to continue with this motto as they prepare to face the Owls. The Owls are expected to be fierce competition, as they try to find their way out of the winning drought that they have been experiencing this season. Both ends of the court are sure to be filled with intensity. While Temple has gone 12-5 in their matchups against the Huskies over the years, the Huskies aim to put an end to the Owl’s dominance.  

This weekend will end with the Huskies returning home Sunday, which is also Alumni Day for the Huskies, to face Tulane. Tulane (12-3, 2-0 The American) has a perfect conference record so far and will be a tough match up. This game will mark the last time the Green Wave will see the Huskies in AAC play, as the Huskies will head to the Big East next year. The Huskies will face Temple once more this season before finishing their time in the conference.  

Hanaisha Lewis is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hanaisha.lewis@uconn.edu.