Volleyball: Huskies triumphant over Owls, swept under Green Wave

0
9

On Oct. 6, 2019, the Women's Volleyball Team played against Tulane University. The girls played with all their skill and power, but after three vigorous sets, the Huskies took the loss 0-3.  Photo by Tulsi Patel/The Daily Campus.

On Oct. 6, 2019, the Women’s Volleyball Team played against Tulane University. The girls played with all their skill and power, but after three vigorous sets, the Huskies took the loss 0-3. Photo by Tulsi Patel/The Daily Campus.

This weekend, the UConn volleyball team continued its American Athletic Conference journey on the road versus Temple University and at home versus Tulane University. With a 3-1 win against Temple and a 0-3 loss to Tulane, the Huskies continue to balance victories and defeats on their season’s record. 

On Friday, UConn (8-8, 2-2 The American) took on the Temple Owls (9-6, 0-4 The American) in Philadelphia, completing a win in four sets. Although Temple was able to secure the first set, UConn kept a significant lead through Sets 3 and 4 before battling through a close fourth and final set, taking a 27-25 victory. In addition to overall points scored, the Huskies had more kills, digs, blocks, assists and service aces. The Huskies finished the game with a hitting percentage of .248 over the Owls’ .176. 

Friday’s match led several players to season highs: Junior middle blocker Isabelle Peterson with 12 kills, redshirt junior defensive specialist Avery Spaziani with 20 digs and redshirt sophomore setter Courtney Morris with 49 assists. Caylee Parker, sophomore outside hitter, had another impressive match with 16 kills, 20 digs and a service ace. 

The Huskies returned home on Sunday to challenge the Tulane Green Wave (13-4, 3-1 The American). Tulane brought a sharp three-set match, staying a step ahead of the competition and leaving zero sets for UConn to claim. In two of the sets, the Green Wave had a full stride on UConn. The first set was a 25-18 win for Tulane, and the third set ended at 25-15. The most exciting portion of the match was Set 2, during which no team led by more than two points. The Huskies put up a strong response to Tulane but fell short of the win, pushing the final score to 26-24. Tulane controlled the court in all forms of points scored; the team’s match average hitting percentage was .257 over UConn’s .098, proving the Green Wave came prepared for UConn’s attacks. Redshirt junior middle blocker Genna Florig had the team’s high for hitting percentage at .357. 

This Friday, Oct. 11 at 7 p.m., the Huskies take on the Cincinnati Bearcats at Gampel Pavilion.  

Judah Shingleton is a campus correspondent and senior staff photographer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at judah.shingleton@uconn.edu. He tweets @ByJudah.