Athlete Spotlight: Zoë Steck

0
4
exc-5d9bf6c49d666c083dbb9fda

The Daily Campus catch up with Junior Zoë Steck of UConn women’s soccer team. Steck reflects on her favorite moment at UConn, favorite class, and tells us her favorite ice cream flavor.  Photos provided by Zoë Steck

The Daily Campus catch up with Junior Zoë Steck of UConn women’s soccer team. Steck reflects on her favorite moment at UConn, favorite class, and tells us her favorite ice cream flavor. Photos provided by Zoë Steck

Junior Zoë Steck is on her third season with the University of Connecticut women’s soccer team, and just a couple weeks ago she filed her first story for The Daily Campus in the second edition of our new series: The Huskies’ Tribune. She is a secondary history education major and is looking into becoming a teacher or a coach in the future. We recently caught up with her so that Husky fans can get to know a bit more about the forward and her background. 

Mike Mavredakis: What is your favorite UConn moment thus far? 

Zoë Steck: My favorite moment is, it’s general, but every time that I get to be with the team and step onto the field. It’s just playing alongside some of my best friends is the greatest feeling in the world and being able to make memories with them is super fun. 

MM: What has been your favorite class you have taken at UConn? 

ZS: My favorite class that I am in right now is my class where I get to go and intern at schools with the education program. So, I get to go and actually sit in on a classroom and observe the teacher and see everything that’s going on there. 

MM: What is the most underrated spot on campus? 

ZS: Sitting on top by Peter J. Werth Tower on top if you look, I know this because I stayed there in the summer and we had to go outside for a fire drill at 5 o’clock in the morning, and it is beautiful the sunrises there. You’ll never go there, but it is absolutely beautiful if you do go up there. It’s overlooking the Field House and the field hockey field, it’s gorgeous- you can see all of campus.  

MM: What is your favorite Dairy Bar ice cream? 

ZS: Moose tracks. 

MM: Is a hot dog a sandwich? 

ZS: No, I don’t really like hot dogs. Hot dogs are vertical; sandwiches are horizontal. If anything, it’s like a sub, I wouldn’t classify it as a sandwich, a sandwich has two pieces of bread. It’s just not. 

MM: What teammate thinks they’re funny, but they’re not? 

ZS: Oh god… Melina [Couzis]. She will make jokes, but it’s just her being mean.  

MM: Who has the worst taste in food on the team? 

ZS: Well, Sophia [Danyko-Kulchycky] just eats everything in the dining hall. She will eat everything, it’s aggressive.  

MM: What’s harder, playing in the rain or writing an article for The Daily Campus? 

ZS: Writing a Daily Campus article. Coming up with an idea is always challenging, but once you get it going it’s not bad.  

MM: Alright, last question. What would you do if you couldn’t find one of your hallmark scrunchies to wear while playing? 

ZS: I don’t know, I would tie a lot of shoelaces around my head. I’ve actually done that before. Me without a scrunchie is just not natural, it doesn’t happen. It’s my signature mark.  

Mike Mavredakis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.quinn-mavredakis@uconn.edu. He tweets @mmavredakis.