Men’s Soccer: Huskies drop second straight in OT 

0
6

UConn hosts Providence College at Dillion Stadium in Hartford. The game went to over time with the score of 1:1, but Providence scored the game winner goal just a few minutes into overtime.  Photo by Eric Yang/The Daily Campus

UConn hosts Providence College at Dillion Stadium in Hartford. The game went to over time with the score of 1:1, but Providence scored the game winner goal just a few minutes into overtime. Photo by Eric Yang/The Daily Campus

The UConn men’s soccer team took its third straight game to overtime after a hard-fought 90 minutes against Providence. Unfortunately, the negative trend continued for the Huskies as they lost once again at home, extending their winless streak to five games, their longest stretch without winning a game since 2015. 

UConn (3-7-1, 0-2-0 the American) applied pressure right from kickoff, eager to score the opening goal, but it was Providence who struck first in the 31st minute. Redshirt senior Joao Serrano bent a corner up and around Huskies’ keeper Gianluca Catalano before it nestled into the far side of the net, giving the Friars the early 1-0 lead.  

Just before the half ended, Huskies redshirt senior Dayonn Harris found himself in a great position to even the score, only for his shot to end up just wide of the post. Halftime struck with UConn down 1-0. 

As has been the case all season, the Huskies came out with new energy in the second and found the equalizer in the 50th minute off their own corner. Junior defender Ziyad Fekri sent a cross to the front post where Robin Lapert was waiting. The junior captain leapt over the Friar’s defender and rocketed the ball past Providence’s goalie and into the bottom right corner.  

The Huskies would have another chance to score in the 65th minute. Harris ripped a shot toward the lower left corner of the goal, but his shot was denied by ex-UConn keeper Austin Aviza, who transferred to Providence (7-4-0, 1-2-0 Big East) for a redshirt senior year after two seasons with the Huskies.  

The opportunities came in bulk for both sides, UConn racking up 13 shots compared to Providence’s 14, but regulation came to an end with the score tied at one, meaning the Huskies were headed into their third overtime in as many games.  

UConn’s previous two matches that went to extra time resulted in a 2-2 draw against Dartmouth and most recently a 1-0 loss to Memphis, so the Huskies were hopeful to swing the momentum their way. But all it took was 1:17 for the Friars to hand the Huskies their seventh loss of the season. 

In a moment of deja vu from UConn’s last matchup against Memphis, Providence took the ball into the Huskies’ corner where Esben Wolf crossed the ball to Trevor Davock at the six-yard box. Davock kept his composure and slotted the ball into the bottom right side of the goal, ending the game and handing UConn another heartbreaking loss. 

Next up for the Huskies is a string of conference games starting with a matchup against Cincinnati this Saturday. If there was ever a time UConn would want to turn their season around, it will be against the struggling Bearcats, who sit just above the Huskies in conference rankings. 

Conner Gilson is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at conner.gilson@uconn.edu. He tweets @connergilson03.