UConn In the Pros: Astros need better from struggling Springer

0
0

The Houston Astro needs Springer to step up and lead the team to victory. The Astro hope Springer can bounce back as soon as possible.  AP Photo/Eric Christian Smith, File

The Houston Astro needs Springer to step up and lead the team to victory. The Astro hope Springer can bounce back as soon as possible. AP Photo/Eric Christian Smith, File

Starting off with some playoff baseball players, the 2017 World Series MVP George Springer is not performing like one. Springer and the Astros had a chance to sweep the Tampa Bay Rays after taking both Games 1 and 2 at home, but things have not exactly gone according to plan.

With the Rays dominating Games 3 and 4 in Tampa Bay, the Astros are going to need someone to step up, and that someone should be Springer. Going into Tuesday night’s game, Springer was a woeful 0-13 at the plate, with only one walk and three strikeouts to show for his efforts. As a three-time All-Star, including 2019, his abilities are evident; Springer just needs to get back into his groove as soon as possible.

With both teams going back to Houston tonight, Springer and the Astros will need to give projected starter Gerrit Cole the run support needed to defeat the Rays and move on to the ALCS, and more daunting opponents like the Yankees.

Switching to some NBA news, the Boston Celtics and UConn great Kemba Walker played their first preseason game against Walker’s old team, the Charlotte Hornets. After signing a max deal with Boston this offseason, Walker donned the Celtic green for the first time Sunday night, logging 12 points, four assists and a steal in 21 minutes of action. Kemba and the rest of the Celtics squad scrapped out a one-point victory over the Hornets, finishing 107-106.

Down in San Antonio, Rudy Gay and the Spurs were dealt two straight losses at the hands of the Orlando Magic on Saturday and the Miami Heat on Tuesday. Gay put in 18 minutes with four points and six rebounds and 22 minutes with 12 points and two rebounds in the two respective outings. Both times, Gay came off the bench, but this year in San Antonio the NBA veteran and UConn legend looks to make an impact role either starting or playing as a reserve.

Moving now to Detroit, where top-10 pick and former Husky Andre Drummond and the Pistons took on the Orlando Magic on Monday. Drummond played a solid 20 minutes in the preseason, scoring 14 points and leading his team in rebounds with nine. The Pistons never led and were easily handled by the Magic, losing 115-91.

With the NBA preseason getting into gear and the start of the regular season right around the corner, these and other ex-Huskies will be preparing to help their teams fight for playoff contention this year.

Finally, in the NFL, Byron Jones and the Cowboys suffered a second straight loss, this time to the Green Bay Packers, losing 34-24 at home. Jones accounted for four tackles on Sunday, none of which come close to his real highlight that game: a wave goodbye from Packers’ running back Aaron Jones as he dashed around Jones into the endzone, putting the Packers up a commanding 24-0 and leaving the former Husky in his dust.

However bad the defeat, the Cowboys and Jones can look ahead to what should be a freebie against the winless New York Jets. This game should be a good chance for the Cowboys and Jones to regain some confidence and add to their win column.

Richard Goyne is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at richard.goyne_iii@uconn.edu