Women’s hockey looks to continue great start to season against New Hampshire, Holy Cross 

0
16

The UConn women’s hockey team has gotten off to a great start this season and will host New Hampshire and Holy Cross for their season-openers this Saturday.  Photo by Kevin Lindstrom / The Daily Campus.

The UConn women’s hockey team has gotten off to a great start this season and will host New Hampshire and Holy Cross for their season-openers this Saturday. Photo by Kevin Lindstrom / The Daily Campus.

On Friday, UConn will look to get their first home win of the season as they host the University of New Hampshire.   

The Huskies (2-0) have a 12-21-2 record against the Wildcats since these two teams first started playing one another back in 2008.  UConn has had the upper hand in recent matchups, as the Huskies come into this game with a two-game winning streak against New Hampshire.  Another sign that bodes well for UConn is that it has done better against the Wildcats at home than on the road.   

While the Huskies will be facing tougher competition this weekend, they are undefeated for a reason.  The Huskies play hard on the defensive end, allowing only one goal on the season so far.  UConn has managed to outshoot opponents 105-23 on the season, giving their opponents few scoring opportunities. 

The offense has done its fair share for the Huskies as well.  Coming into this matchup UConn is averaging around 52 shots per game.  The Huskies are forcing their opponents to spend more energy on defense, which will give UConn more offensive opportunities as their opponents become tired as the game progresses.  Eight players have scored goals so far this season, with Morgan Wabick and Viki Harkness having scored two each.   

The Wildcats (1-1-1) have gotten off to a slow start for the season.  New Hampshire won its first game of the year against Franklin Pierce, but then proceeded to lose and tie against St. Lawrence.  

Last time out, the Huskies swept LIU in their weekend series while New Hampshire and Holy Cross are off to slower starts.  Photo by Kevin Lindstrom / The Daily Campus.

Last time out, the Huskies swept LIU in their weekend series while New Hampshire and Holy Cross are off to slower starts. Photo by Kevin Lindstrom / The Daily Campus.

One player on the Wildcats to keep an eye on is Paige Rynne.  She has already scored three goals this season, and she currently ranks third on the team in shots taken.  The Wildcats are a very strong team on offense, and are especially dangerous when on a power play, as it has gone 4-for-11 so far this year.   

On Sunday, UConn will leave the friendly confines of the Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum as it heads to Massachusetts to take on Holy Cross (0-2-2).  UConn is 3-0 all time against the Crusaders.  The Huskies won their last matchup against Holy Cross 6-3.   

The Crusaders had a rough start to their season, dropping the first game of the year to Colgate while also suffering a blowout loss to No. 7 Boston College.  The Crusaders’ two ties came against Penn State.  Holy Cross has struggled mightily on defense to begin the season, though some of that partially comes from playing BC.  It has allowed opponents to outshoot it 158-72.  If the Crusaders have any chance of winning their first game ever against UConn, they must start playing better on the defensive end.   

Things have not been going any better for them on offense. Holy Cross has only had the lead one time this season.  The offense has only managed to score five goals on the year so far, and because of this, the Crusaders are not giving themselves chances to win games, especially close games.  The heart and soul of the Crusaders’ offense is Rachel Moore, who has three points so far on the year, and she has also scored one goal.  She has taken the most shots for the Crusaders. 

UConn will play New Hampshire at 6 p.m. on Friday and Holy Cross at 7:05 p.m. on Saturday. 

Joshua Gorman is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.gorman@uconn.edu. He tweets @joshuagorman15.