Around the American: Temple knocks Memphis out of top-25, Cincinnati keeps streak alive

0
0
exc-5da52135e8d6f5205e06ac6e

Temple upset No.23 Maryland in what was an overall successful weekend for many American Athletic Conference teams.  Photo from the Associated Press.

Temple upset No.23 Maryland in what was an overall successful weekend for many American Athletic Conference teams. Photo from the Associated Press.

No. 23 Memphis 28, Temple 30

Saturday was another sunny day in Philadelphia as the Temple Owls got their second victory against a top-25 team from the No. 23 Memphis Tigers.

The Owls’ (5-1, 2-0 The American) Anthony Russo put on a strong performance to lead his team to the victory, with 224 passing yards and two touchdowns, completing 61% of his 33 passes with zero turnovers. Meanwhile on the other sideline, Memphis (5-1, 1-1 The American) quarterback Brady Allen racked up some decent counting numbers — over 300 yards and two touchdowns — but a couple early turnovers would put his Tigers behind by 16, a lead from which they would never come back.

Each team proved to be fairly impressive on the ground. Both teams accounted for over 100 yards, with Memphis quarterbacks Gainwell and Watkins each accounting for a touchdown, and Temple’s Gardner getting one of his own.

The defenses of each team reaped the benefits of less-than-stellar ball control, with the Owls losing the ball twice and the Tigers losing it three times.

After a Temple-dominated first half of football, Memphis brought it to two twice in the second half but it was never enough. Temple scored what would eventually be the game-sealing touchdown with 12:48 left in the fourth. Memphis would make a run at victory, scoring with 9:58 left in the game, but after that turned the ball over on downs twice to end the game and give Temple the victory.

No. 25 Cincinnati put up another strong performance against Houston, winning 38-23 en route to their fifth win.  Photo from the Associated Press.

No. 25 Cincinnati put up another strong performance against Houston, winning 38-23 en route to their fifth win. Photo from the Associated Press.

No. 25 Cincinnati 38, Houston 23

In Houston on Saturday, Cincinnati kept rolling on, taking down Houston and pushing towards the top of the East.

The quarterback matchup was a lopsided one, with Cincinnati’s (5-1, 2-0 The American) Desmond Ridder throwing for three touchdowns, one interception and 263 yards, whereas his Houston (2-4, 0-2 The American) counterpart Clayton Tune threw for more interceptions (three) than touchdowns (two), with only 184 passing yards to show for his 9-for-27 performance.

Unlike the quarterback play, each team’s ground-game showed up big time, putting in 263 yards (Cincinnati) and 234 yards (Houston) with three touchdowns each coming from multiple contributors out of the backfield.

The game started off with Desmond Ridder scoring a 13-yard rushing touchdown, and they never looked back from there. By the end of the first half, Ridder and Josiah Deguara connected for a 15-yard touchdown pass, putting Cincinnati up 21-10.

In the second half, Houston started the scoring in the third quarter when Tune found Marquez Stevenson for a 69-yard completion, bringing the Cougars to within four points. However, this is the closest they would get to No. 25 ranked Bearcats.

In the fourth quarter, the Bearcats would end up outscoring the Cougars 17-6, with Perry Young intercepting Clayton Tune and taking it back two yards for a defensive touchdown with 3:28 left in the game, putting the finishing touches on yet another win for the Cincinnati Bearcats, and yet another loss for the Houston Cougars.

BYU 23, USF 27

USF is back at .500 after beating BYU 27-23 behind a 158-yard performance from Jordan Conkrite.  Photo from the Associated Press.

USF is back at .500 after beating BYU 27-23 behind a 158-yard performance from Jordan Conkrite. Photo from the Associated Press.

In the only nonconference game this week, USF took home the win with a fourth quarter comeback against BYU at home in Tampa.

USF’s (3-3, 1-1 The American) Jordan McCloud had a low-output performance both through the air and on the ground. Through the air he added 72 yards on seven completions, combined with one touchdown and an interception, and on the ground, he had 23 yards on six rushes, including a rushing touchdown. On the other hand, the quarterback play from BYU (2-4) was much more productive. Jaren Hall started the game for the Cougars, and in three quarters of football he was able to contribute 148 yards on 15 passes, 83 yards on 16 rushes and a touchdown through the air and on the ground. At the start of the fourth quarter Hall went down with a concussion and was replaced by Baylor Romney. Romney was able to complete six passes for 73 yards, but was unable to hold onto BYU’s lead in the fourth.

On the ground, BYU had four ball carriers tally up over 20 yards, with Hall as the leading rusher, followed by Lopini Katoa out of the backfield with 73 yards. For USF, Jordan Conkrite managed to rush for 158 yards and two touchdowns, including the go ahead score with 7:37 left to put USF ahead 27-23.

The game was the visiting Cougars’ to lose going into the fourth, and due to an unfortunate concussion suffered by Hall (BYU’s first ever black starting quarterback), BYU was all of a sudden at a disadvantage, both without their quarterback and against USF’s offense which was finally getting into gear. By the time the fourth quarter was underway, USF picked up their third win of the season getting them to .500 on the season.

Tulsa was just one of a couple AAC teams to lose this weekend, as the Golden Hurricane got blown out by Navy 45-17. Tulsa dropped to 2-4 on the season.  Photo from the Associated Press.

Tulsa was just one of a couple AAC teams to lose this weekend, as the Golden Hurricane got blown out by Navy 45-17. Tulsa dropped to 2-4 on the season. Photo from the Associated Press.

Navy 45, Tulsa 17

Navy faced off against Tulsa Saturday in Tulsa, OK, where the Midshipmen blew out the Golden Hurricane 45-17, in a game that was never even close.

In classic Navy (4-1, 2-1 The American) fashion, the Midshipmen threw the ball five times, completing only three passes for a grand total of 35 yards. Malcom Perry (the starter for Navy) only threw for nine of the 35 yards, while CJ Williams (a slotback) completed one pass for 26 yards on a trick play late in the second quarter. For Tulsa (2-4, 0-2 The American), QB Zach Smith had 254 yards on 49 attempts and 23 completions, with one touchdown.

Navy’s Perry ran rampant on Saturday, ending the game with 218 rushing yards on only 20 carries, and managed to make it into the endzone three times. Navy’s ground attack was also aided by their array of running backs, slotbacks and fullbacks, with two more touchdowns coming from the combined efforts of Jamale Carothers, and Nelson Smith. Tulsa’s leading ball carrier Shamari Brooks had 55 yards on 12 carries.

The Midshipmen defenders had a stellar performance all around, holding the entire Tulsa offense to 323 total yards, and only 17 points. Tulsa’s defense could not say the same, as Navy’s offense had 424 total yards, crossed the goal-line six times and put in a field goal.

After this dominant performance, Navy looks to continue their two-game win streak next week when they take on USF.

Thumbnail photo from the Associated Press

Richard Goyne is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at richard.goyne_iii@uconn.edu