Archaeology fair this Saturday will honor professor’s passing

0
0

The Connecticut Archaeology Fair is a celebration of the late Dr. Brian Jones, a UConn alum and state archaeologist who passed away last summer.  Photo by Julie Spillane / The Daily Campus

The Connecticut Archaeology Fair is a celebration of the late Dr. Brian Jones, a UConn alum and state archaeologist who passed away last summer. Photo by Julie Spillane / The Daily Campus

The University of Connecticut Department of Anthropology will be hosting the 2019 Connecticut Archaeology Fair on Saturday, Oct. 19, where professors in archaeology and graduate students from across the state will showcase their research over the past year. 

The Connecticut Archaeology Fair is a celebration of the late Dr. Brian Jones, a UConn alum and state archaeologist who passed away last summer. His research focused on European settlement of Connecticut in the early 1600s. His examination of Dutch settlement in Hartford has brought new perspective to the state’s oldest town. During the spring, he led a group of Connecticut high school students in restoring a World War I trench in France. This year, the fair will be held to commemorate him while continuing to serve as a meeting ground for archaeologists across Connecticut.  

Dr. Daniel Adler, an associate professor for the anthropology department and a professor of archaeology, described that the international and local scope of the work being presented by state researchers. 

“These archaeologists have been working on sites in Europe and Asia, but many conduct their digs right here in the state. But all of us are Connecticut archaeologists,” Adler said.  

According to his page on UConn’s website, Adler has done extensive research on the Paleolithic Era in Armenia since 2008, bringing students from the study abroad program to help excavate early humans estimated to be almost 1 million years old. 

While the location of the fair changes, this will be the third consecutive year UConn will be hosting the event and will feature some of the best professors and graduate students from not just UConn, but the entire state. The event is free and open to the public and will include activities for both children and adults. 

Samuel Katz is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached at samuel.katz@uconn.edu.