UConn in the Pros: Springer back slumping after big Game 2

0
7

Sunday night, the Houston Astros took on the New York Yankees in Game 2 of the ALCS, needing a win to even the series.

The postseason has not been kind to UConn’s own George Springer thus far; he has gone 4-or-29, with a below-average batting average of .138. The struggles for the Astros’ lead-off man have undoubtedly contributed to the trouble the team had with the Rays in the Divisional Series and now with the Yankees—dropping both Game Ones and needing 11 innings to take home the W on Sunday.

However, in the Game 2 where Carlos Correa walked it off in the 11th inning, Springer had his one shining moment of these playoffs. In the bottom of the fifth after the Yanks had taken a one-run lead in the fourth, Springer stepped up to the plate. An ill-fated slider from Adam Ottavino was sent over the fence by Springer, tying up the ballgame and setting the stage for Correa’s walk-off homerun in extras.

Game 3 saw the Astros take down the Yankees, but Springer seems to be back in his slump.

The former Husky went 0-for-4 yet again, this time with two strikeouts. He did manage to get on base with a walk, but beyond that, Springer did not have much to contribute at the plate, as has become his norm this postseason.

The 4-1 victory in Yankee Stadium was a big one for the Astros, led by good hitting early and a strong 7th inning to close out the victory as they regained homefield. The Astros, of course, will look to maintain this series lead as they wrap up in the Big Apple tonight (thanks to a rain delay) and then head back to Houston.

Moving to some games with slightly lower stakes: The NBA preseason! With veteran players like UConn stars Kemba Walker and Rudy Gay getting their rest in a week before the season starts, the focus shifts to the new, young talent and whether or not they’ve earned a role on their respective teams.

One of those players to watch out for is UConn’s Jalen Adams. Adams hasn’t gotten too much of a chance on the Pelicans this preseason, considering the “young talent” on the Pelicans includes big names like Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram and, of course, Zion Williamson. This

preseason, Adams has totaled 10 minutes of game time (with two DNP-coach’s decisions), scoring seven points in that time.

Adams was never going to have a surefire chance to make the Pelicans roster, and after a lackluster preseason the window is just getting smaller and smaller. The former Husky has one more game against the New York Knicks to show his stuff to the front office and hope for an offer.

Lastly, over in the NFL, former Huskies Byron Jones and Ryan Griffin went head-to-head in what turned into another disappointing result for Jones and his Cowboys. Griffin’s touchdown and 28 yards receiving were a key piece in the hot start for the New York Jets, which would lead to them winning the game.

The underdog Jets got off to a hot start in the first half, capped off by UConn’s own Ryan Griffin catching a nice five-yard TD pass from Sam Darnold.

The second half was a different story, however, as Byron Jones and the Cowboys clamped down on the Jets’ offense, allowing only three points in the half. A couple tackles from Jones and all-around good cornerback play allowed for the Cowboys to get right back in the game.

In the end, Griffin and the Jets pulled out the upset win over Jones and the Cowboys. Now the Cowboys and Jones look to put an end to their streak of losses next week against the Eagles, while the Jets and Griffin hope that the return of their quarterback means they can turn this season around.

Thumbnail photo courtesy of @georgespringer.

Richard Goyne is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at richard.goyne_iii@uconn.edu.