USG discusses mental illness awareness week, tampon dispensers

0
0
exc-5da7d467e101e50a4356ea2c

The Undergraduate Student Government hold their first senator's meeting after the election of the new Senate.  Photo by Eric Wang

The Undergraduate Student Government hold their first senator’s meeting after the election of the new Senate. Photo by Eric Wang

The University of Connecticut Undergraduate Student Government passed an initiative to foster a healthier environment in the Homer Babbidge Library and also amended their constitution in order to compensate two USG positions at their Senate meeting Wednesday night. 

The initiative USG passed would install hand sanitizing and wipe stations around the library and allow better cleaning of the building, specifically of tables and furniture. Many senators voiced support for the idea, as exams usually fall during flu season, when the library is especially crowded. It passed unanimously.  

Compensation of USG’s deputy comptroller and inventory director was also passed as an amendment to the constitution. External Affairs Chairperson Damani Douglas and Comptroller Fabio Saccomano expressed support for the measure.  

“Would someone do this for free?” Saccomano asked. 

Jobs will be posted to Job X so anyone could apply, to avoid any chance of nepotism.  

Douglas also talked of a Bylaw Cleanup Act, which would make it easier for senators and their constituents to understand what different areas of USG do. The act would also work to democratize committees and the legislative branch of USG broadly by concretizing roles and checks and balances.  

Other events and initiatives discussed were the upcoming Mental Illness Awareness week, the implementation of tampon dispensers on campus, a Get Out to Vote Day event (including sponsoring busses to polling locations on Nov. 5) and a WTF (What to Fix) forum that would be open to students to discuss their concerns about campus through USG.  

A few senators also mentioned talks with administrators to turn UConn into a test-optional school are underway, meaning SAT and ACT scores wouldn’t be mandatory for applications. 

USG President Priyanka Thakkar and Vice President Manny Chinyumba were absent from Wednesday night’s meeting, as they were attending a meeting responding to a racist incident that took place last Friday at Charter Oak Apartments. 

Sean Donovan is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.donovan@uconn.edu