UConn groups lip sync for Homecoming 

0
6

Avoiding studying for midterms by watching Netflix reached a whole new level at Gampel Pavilion Thursday, where students got a sampling of over 10 shows, represented by student groups on campus participating in this year’s Homecoming events. The teams “Avatar: The Last Airbender,” “The Amanda Show” and “Scooby-Doo” were all big winners in their respective categories at the Lip Sync, hosted by SUBOG’s Major Weekends committee. Participating groups represented TV shows based on this year’s Homecoming theme, “Streaming Storrs,” and ranged from greek life and the cultural centers to some non-fee-funded groups like the UConn Irish Dance Team. 

“I think that Lip Sync has always been such a looked-forward-to-event every year,” Cindy Li, a third-semester physiology and neurobiology major, said. “Even those who might not attend other Homecoming Week activities tend to come to Lip Sync. It’s a really good way to kind of just see what our school looks like in a nutshell with so many different performances from such a diverse group of students.” 

Student groups perform at Gampel Pavilion for the annual Lip Sync battle on Thursday night. Student groups included fraternities, sororities, cultural groups, dance groups, and the marching band.  Photos by Charlotte Lao / Photo Editor / The Daily Campus

Student groups perform at Gampel Pavilion for the annual Lip Sync battle on Thursday night. Student groups included fraternities, sororities, cultural groups, dance groups, and the marching band. Photos by Charlotte Lao / Photo Editor / The Daily Campus

The show opened with emcees Jacob Lopez and Morgan Keyt dancing to “My Shiny Teeth and Me” from “The Fairly Oddparents,” followed by a performance from the UConn Dance Team. The competing groups performed a medley of songs that accompanied a skit that fit with their assigned TV series and highlighted their school spirit. Many groups included Jonathan the Husky in their performances (unfortunately, not the real one), as well as the Homecoming football game against the University of Houston. 

“Avatar: The Last Airbender,” i.e. the Asian-American Cultural Center (AsACC), won first out of the fee-funded and cultural center groups that performed last night. AsACC is also coming off of a triple-win from Tuesday’s Homecoming Pageant, in which they won the Alma Mater Sing and had contestants Angelique Campo and Raven Soumpholphakdy crowned Homecoming King and Queen. Their skit featured Jonathan as the new Avatar, learning all four elements with the help of numerous student groups like ThundeRaas, Kodama Taiko, Wushu and KCONN. With a fun introduction that replicated the iconic opening of the show, the music AsACC lip-synced to ranged from “Burning Up” by BTS to songs from “Avatar’s” soundtrack, with a mix of traditional kung-fu, like in the show, and hip-hop dance.  

“I particularly liked AsACC’s performance because of the sheer number of student clubs they had,” Li said. “[I] really loved Lip Sync and will definitely be back next year to support!” 

Photos by Charlotte Lao / Photo Editor / The Daily Campus

For the Greek Life category of groups, “The Amanda Show” took the top spot with Phi Sigma Rho, Sigma Alpha Mu and Alpha Chi Omega. Their fun performance featured Amanda in search of the stolen Jonathan and included a mix of current and throwback songs like “Hotline Bling,” “Sk8er Boi,” “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” and “Bad.” Along with multiple references to the show’s skits, like Judge Trudy, there was also a healthy amount of dancing lobsters. 

Although the UConn Irish Dance Team was the only group in its category, their “Scooby-Doo” performance still earned its winning spot with their search for Jonathan (sound familiar?), who was taken by a monster, a.k.a. the University of Houston mascot. Their traditional Irish dancing, set to oldies like “Smooth Criminal,” “Superstition” and “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” brought an interesting twist to the typical hip-hop dances that were seen through the night. 

Other notable performances came from first runner-up “One Day at a Time” with the Puerto Rican/Latin American Cultural Center, which was full of outfit changes, a mix of traditional Latin and hip-hop dance presented by UConn Baile and remixes of pop songs. The African American Cultural Center also put on an impressive performance with the show “The Proud Family” and popular songs like “thank u, next,” “Before I Go,” “Panini” and “In My Feelings.”  

The Greek Life category also included shows like “The Office,” “Drake and Josh,” “Hannah Montana,” “Game of Thrones,” “Spongebob” and “Stranger Things.” The UConn Marching Band performed with the show “Friends.” 

“Lip Sync was an amazing show that integrated pop culture with UConn pride,” Shreya Sreenivas, a third-semester physiology and neurobiology major, said. “All in all, a great tradition UConn has to offer!” 

Hollie Lao is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.