Resident good boy is feeling good

0
7

Jonathan XIII is recuperating nicely after having clusters of seizures. Alpha Phi Omega created a GoFundMe page to offset the cost of Jonathan XIII treatment at Pieper Memorial Veterinary Hospital.  File Photo/The Daily Campus

Jonathan XIII is recuperating nicely after having clusters of seizures. Alpha Phi Omega created a GoFundMe page to offset the cost of Jonathan XIII treatment at Pieper Memorial Veterinary Hospital. File Photo/The Daily Campus

Health update on Jonathan XIII 

The University of Connecticut’s retired canine mascot, Jonathan XIII, is recuperating nicely after having a cluster of seizures Oct. 12, said Marie-Claire Meadows, a seventh-semester global health major and a husky co-chair for the Husky Committee of Alpha Phi Omega.  

Meadows said the aid from Fenton River Veterinary Hospital and Pieper Memorial Veterinary Hospital helped Jonathan XII feel better. He is now on anti-seizure medication and is handling it well.  

“Jonathan XIII is doing great,” Meadows said. “He is enjoying Dairy Bar ice cream and running around with brother, Jonathan XIV.”  

According to Jonathan XIII’s brother’s Instagram, @jonathanhusky14, Pieper Memorial Veterinary Hospital’s neurologist was able to get the seizures under control after using an MRI to determine the underlying cause.  

Alpha Phi Omega created a GoFundMe page to help offset the cost of Jonathan XIII’s treatment at Pieper Memorial Veterinary Hospital, Meadows said. In two hours, the GoFundMe pages reached its goal of $3,000.  

Before the GoFundMe stopped accepting donations, it received close to $6,000, Meadows said. She said Alpha Phi Omega was touched by the output from the UConn community.  

“We were not expecting to have such a large and fast response, but are so thankful that husky fans still support our retired mascot,” Meadows said. “We truly have the best community and fans here at UConn and we couldn’t ask for anything more.”  

With the additional money, a portion of the donations will be placed aside for any future medical expenses for Jonathan XIII, Meadows said. The rest of the money will be donated to Pieper Memorial’s neurology department “for a family in need of financial assistance to help their pet overcome a neurological issue.”  

“We wanted to give back to the pet community in Connecticut because of all the amazing fans that have helped Jonathan XIII,” Meadows said. “Not every pet owner has the ability to personally pay for care or raise money in the public way that we have been able to, so we wanted to give back to those who may experience a situation like this.”  

For Jonathan’s XIII updates, follow Jonathan XIV on Instagram, @jonathanhusky14.  

Rachel Philipson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.philipson@uconn.edu.