Two students arrested in connection to racist comments

0
0
exc-5dae649151bfc07402d82eeb

UConn Police Department arrested two students Monday night after video footage of the students saying a racial slur went viral on Oct. 11.  File Photo/The Daily Campus

UConn Police Department arrested two students Monday night after video footage of the students saying a racial slur went viral on Oct. 11. File Photo/The Daily Campus

The University of Connecticut Police Department arrested two students Monday night after they were filmed saying the N-word outside of Charter Oak Apartments on Oct. 11. 

The students, 21-year-old Jarred Karal of Plainville and 21-year-old Ryan Mucaj of Granby, were charged under Connecticut General Statute 53-37, which is ridicule on account of creed, religion, color, denomination, nationality or race, UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said. 

The students were filmed saying the N-word while walking in the apartment complex’s parking lot and were loud enough to be heard by two individuals in the complex, according to the police report. The video was taken by one of the witnesses inside an apartment. 

21-year-old Jarred Karal of Plainville, left, and 21-year-old Ryan Mucaj of Granby, right.  Photos courtesy of UConn Police Report

21-year-old Jarred Karal of Plainville, left, and 21-year-old Ryan Mucaj of Granby, right. Photos courtesy of UConn Police Report

“The investigation showed that the males walked back through the apartment complex after leaving a local business and played a game in which they yelled vulgar words,” the police report said. “As they walked through the parking lot, Mucaj and Karal switched to saying a racial epithet that was heard by witnesses.” 

A third person had accompanied them as they walked outside the apartments, but the police investigation determined that the individual had not participated in the behavior, the report said. 

“It is supportive of our core values to pursue accountability, through due process, for an egregious assault on our community that has caused considerable harm,” UConn President Thomas Katsouleas said in an email. “I’m grateful for the university’s collective effort in responding to this incident, especially the hard work of the UConn Police Department, which has been investigating the case since it was reported.” 

Both students are scheduled to appear in Rockville Superior Court on Oct. 30, Reitz said. 

Gabriella DeBenedictis is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.