Students react with disappointment and excitement to Earth, Wok & Fire in the Student Union  

0
0
exc-5dafa9d0bebe9629423b76fa

Last week, Earth, Wok, and Fire opened in the student union. Students had mixed reactions to the food options offered.  Photo   by Amanda Kilyk / The Daily Campus

Last week, Earth, Wok, and Fire opened in the student union. Students had mixed reactions to the food options offered. Photo by Amanda Kilyk / The Daily Campus

Last week, Earth, Wok and Fire opened in the University of Connecticut’s Student Union, replacing the vacant space that originally housed Panda Express. Students who have tried the new food options were both impressed with what it has to offer and disappointed with the choices following the many delays in its opening.  

Earth, Wok and Fire, located in-between Subway and One Plate, Two Plates, offers different express and made-to-order options.  

Daniel Cintron, a seventh-semester chemistry major, was not completely disappointed with the dining options, but still equated choices such as the lo-mein or fried rice to dining hall food.  

“It’s pretty good. The beef with broccoli and General Tso’s I would say are pretty good options. But, other than that, I would expect some of this from a dining hall, such as fried rice or the lo-mein,” Cintron said.  

While Cintron was not completely disappointed with the food offered, he felt some of the options were overpriced.  

Daniella Chuka, a first-semester economics major and employee of UConn Dining Services, also feels that Earth, Wok and Fire is fairly expensive. However, she is much more enthusiastic about the food options.  

“There are two sides to the restaurant, a build-your-own and a premade side, and they are both fantastic,” Chuka said. “I’ve tried everything we offer on the pre-made side and would totally recommend the pork and kimchi dumplings, they’re my favorite!”  

Chuka also made note of the lo-mein and vegetable fried rice options. While they are good, the lo-mein is not advertised correctly, according to Chuka.   

“The lo-mein and veggie fried rice are also good, however, it should be noted that the lo-mein does not have tofu in it, even though it is advertised that way,” Chuka said.  

Of the students interviewed, a majority found the food at Earth, Wok and Fire comparable to dining hall options, but they will keep eating at the new addition to the Student Union.  

Cintron said, besides his few disappointments with the food offered, he will continue to eat at Earth, Wok and Fire. He believes that, albeit the high cost of the food, everyone should give the new restaurant at least one try.  

“Would highly recommend anyone give it a try at least once,” Chuka said.  

Amanda Kilyk is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached at amanda.kilyk@uconn.edu.