Dunkin’ Donuts may be getting a new look

0
0
exc-5db1185e09eaa25c48d6bf0f

Students purchase coffee and donuts at the Dunkin’ Donuts in the upper level of the Student Union. The coffee shop is getting remodeled to allow for more space - a consistent concern with the current set up particularly during rush times.  Photo by Julie Spillane/The Daily Campus

Students purchase coffee and donuts at the Dunkin’ Donuts in the upper level of the Student Union. The coffee shop is getting remodeled to allow for more space – a consistent concern with the current set up particularly during rush times. Photo by Julie Spillane/The Daily Campus

Plans for a renovation of the Dunkin’ Donuts in the University of Connecticut’s Student Union are currently pending, Nicole Pacheco, a Dunkin’ Donuts franchiser, said. 

If the plans are approved, the Union’s Dunkin’ Donuts can begin its renovations to enter the “next generation of Dunkin’,” Pacheco said. Changes would include a tap system in which guests can see the iced coffee being poured and a computer kiosk system in which on-the-go ordering can be placed directly outside the entrance.    

“Our goal and our hope is that everyone will have an easier time with less mistakes, errors [and] fewer wait times,” Pacheco said.    

Pacheco said she hopes these potential renovations will help eliminate the long line that can snake around the corner of the Dunkin’ and the congestion by the pick-up area.  

Typically, Dunkin’ Donuts locations are renovated every 10 years, Pacheco said. However, she said the one in the Union is being renovated after just eight years of operation to better serve its guests. 

If everything goes according to plan, renovations will take place during UConn’s winter break, Pacheco said. Their goal is to be completely ready when UConn students are returning for the spring 2020 semester.  

On Wednesday, Oct. 23, UConn’s Board of Trustees’ agenda listed they would be discussing an amendment to the lease for retail and storage space for Dunkin’ Donuts to increase its retail space by 489 square feet, in addition to two other terms. The minutes of this meeting were unavailable at the time of reporting.  

Stephanie Reitz, the university spokesperson, said the university supports the idea of expansion.  

“Anyone who’s visited that Dunkin’ Donuts location knows it’s a popular destination, and we support their expansion as a way to meet that demand and continue offering a popular service in the Student Union,” Reitz said.   

Rachel Philipson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.philipson@uconn.edu.