Winners And Losers: Champions League recap

0
11

UEFA Champions League returned on Tuesday and Wednesday. Some teams won while some shockingly lost.  AP Photo/Ian Walton

UEFA Champions League returned on Tuesday and Wednesday. Some teams won while some shockingly lost. AP Photo/Ian Walton

With the return of club soccer following the international break, the UEFA Champions League came back on Tuesday and Wednesday with a series of fixtures played on both days. Some teams comfortably won, some lost, but we will be looking at the teams who put up a fight for their victory and teams who shockingly lost. 

Winner: Tottenham Hotspur (5-0 vs Red Star Belgrade) 

Tottenham Hotspur’s start to the season has been rough in both the Premier League and the Champions League. Following their 7-2 defeat against Bayern Münich at home, the Lilywhites found themselves with a lot of pressure when it came to play Red Star Belgrade at home on Tuesday. However, the Spurs were able to put their struggling weeks to an end by securing a 5-0 victory against the Red-Whites. Harry Kane was the first to score in the ninth minute after Erik Lamela crossed the ball into the penalty box from a corner kick. Seven minutes later, Heung-Min Son found himself scoring the second goal of the match after Lamela once again crossed the ball into the penalty box. Right before the end of the first half, Son scored again to secure his brace after Red Star captain Marko Marin lost control of the ball and Tanguy Ndombélé was able to bring the ball into the final third of the field and pass to Son. After giving two assists early on in the match, Lamela scored the fourth goal of the match in the 57th minute after right-back Serge Aurier crossed the ball into the penalty box. The final goal of the match came at the 72nd minute from Kane to secure his brace after receiving the ball from Ndombélé. Tottenham is currently second in its group, trailing Bayern Münich.   

Winner: Liverpool (4-1 vs K.R.C. Genk) 

The Reds traveled to K.R.C. Genk’s Cristal Arena on Wednesday to secure a 4-1 victory. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain scored the first goal of the match in the second minute when Sadio Mané eceived the ball from Fabinho and passed to Oxlade-Chamberlain. He would score once more to secure his brace in the 57th minute when Roberto Firmino managed to spin around Joakim Marhle and passed to Oxlade-Chamberlain who then shot the bar-down goal. Liverpool went on to score its third goal in the 77th minute by Mané followed by Mohammed Salah scoring 10 minutes after for Liverpool’s fourth. The Reds however failed to keep a clean sheet as Stephen Odey scored a minute after Salah’s goal after receiving the ball from Dieumerci Ndongala. 

Loser: Borussia Dortmund (2-0 vs Inter Milan) 

Inter Milan hosted the BVB in the San Siro to secure a 2-0 victory on Wednesday. Lautaro Martínez scored in the 22nd minute upon receiving a lobbed pass from De Vrij and quickly tapped the ball into the back of the net. The Nerazzurri went on to score once more in the 89th minute by Antonio Candreva when Marcelo Brozović passed the ball through Borussia’s defenders. 

Loser: AFC Ajax (1-0 vs Chelsea F.C.) 

Four-time Champions League winners AFC Ajax hosted Chelsea F.C. on Wednesday in the Johan Cruyff Arena. The Godzenonen thought they had gained the lead in the 35th minute when Hakim Ziyech crossed the ball to Quincy Promes and put the ball in the back of the net, however VAR (Video Assistant Referee) ruled Promes offside, disallowing the goal. The match would remain goalless until the 86th minute when Chelsea’s Michy Batshuayi received the ball from Christian Pulisic and netted the ball towards the left side of the net. Batshuayi had a chance to score earlier in the second half when he came on as a substitute, however his shot put the ball well over the crossbar. Ajax now sit second of their group with Chelsea on top. 

The UEFA Champions League will return on Tuesday, Nov. 5 for Matchday 4 of 6 in the Group Stage. 

David Sandoval is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at david.sandoval@uconn.edu. He tweets @sandovalduconn.