Boozy popsicles add another level of cool to your night out 

0
5

Summer may be over and autumn may be in full swing, but that does not mean we have to fall into the same boring routine when it comes to alcohol and cocktails. Popsicles are a nostalgic childhood favorite, but they’ve recently gotten a grown-up makeover. The following are available at most liquor retailers or online, and are super easy to bring to parties or serve to friends. Get your drink menu ready for winter with these frosty, boozy treats.  

FrutaPOPs 

These frozen ice pops boast natural ingredients and a lower alcohol content, so they are perfect for a more relaxed vibe. There’s no sugar added, which helps minimize any post-party headache. These taste great, and you can tell they’re made with real fruit. They have a wide variety of flavors, ranging from Watermelon Margarita to Mango Mimosa. There’s even a frozen rosé and a non-alcoholic chocolate coffee or pumpkin spice cold brew for fall! They can be a little pricey, but are made with higher-end, top-shelf alcohol. They’ll even deliver customized pops to a wedding or party!  

Slim Chillers 

Another adult take on the classic Fla-Vor-Ice freezer pop is the Slim Chiller. These popsicles came out in 2018 and have an 8% alcohol content. They are only 100 calories and offer a range of cocktail favorites, including Watermelon Lemonade, Cosmopolitan and Appletini. The brand recently launched a Skinny Freezer wine pop, if vino is more your taste. Slim Chillers are available at Costco Wholesale stores and Total Wines and Liquors. You can get a pack of 12 for $30.  

SnoBar Cocktails 

SnoBar not only offers cosmos, margs and mojitos on sticks but has also forayed into the boozy ice cream market as well. The ice creams also come in push pop form and are available in flavors like Brandy Alexander, Pink Squirrel and Grasshopper. Their products are  8% alcohol content and so delicious, you forget they have any alcohol in them at all. SnoBar is mostly on the West Coast right now, but it’s been finding its way onto more and more shelves cross-country. Products can also be purchased online but are on the pricier end. A pack of just 24 popsicles goes for around $100.  

Buzz Pops 

Buzz Pops delivers a whopping 15% alcohol content into their tiny packaging. These low-calorie push pops come in flavors like Moscow Mule, Blueberry Mojito and the tequila-spiked Blueberry Mojo. According to their website, Buzz Pops are “vegan, gluten free, fat free, certified OU kosher” and made with “real fruit” and “top shelf alcohol.” These are definitely sweeter than some of the other options, but Buzz Pops deliver on flavor and taste almost like a boozy sorbet. They can be ordered online, with a customizable variety pack of 12 pops going for a price almost as surprising as their alcohol content, $100.  

Claffey’s Frozen Cocktails  

These colorful, squeezable freezer pops also come in a wide variety of fun flavors, including Pink Lemonade, Grab Apple, Purple Party and Cherry Lips. They are made with cane sugar and come at only 90 calories and 6% alcohol per pop. This brand has recently made it onto Costco shelves as well, and are more affordable for only $20 per 12-pack. 

A lot of these options are trendy and higher-end, but there are plenty of more affordable brands offered at local liquor stores. These include a variety of frozen margaritas and vodka-lemonades. If you don’t want to spend $100 for these boutique brands online, start hunting around in your local package store. Try a few out now and you’ll have your favorite brand ready for summer.

Thumbnail photo courtesy of @claffeyscocktails Instagram

“Thirsty Thursday is created by of-age students in the Daily Campus Life section. Recommendations can be sent to life@dailycampus.com. We will respond if sober.”