Our favorite Halloween candy, ranked

0
0
exc-5db0f3a2121bba34d274c4ae

Jordana Castelli, Campus Correspondent 

My favorite Halloween candy is not the most exciting, but it holds a special place in my heart. Let me start off by saying that I am not a huge fan of chocolate or any type of candy. I have a very specific niche: sour candy. Sour candy has the power to turn my day around, to turn sad tears into happy tears. But that has nothing to do with Halloween. My favorite type of “Halloween candy” is *drum roll* Kit Kats! Yes, I know they are not actually a Halloween candy, but Halloween is the only time of the year that I eat them. This is because if I am going to spend money on sweets during the year, it is most likely going to be on Sour Skittles or Sour Sweet Tarts. For some reason though, every time I went trick-or-treating, my pillowcase was filled with mini Kit Kats. The delicious, crunchy wafer dipped in milk chocolate is the perfect amount of sweetness without being too overwhelming. Now every time Halloween rolls around I treat myself to a bag of mini Kit Kats, which is possibly my favorite part of the holiday.  

Julia Mancini, Life Editor 

It is a flat out shame that adults can’t go trick-or-treating. I still get really into Halloween costumes, but going door to door for candy was the highlight of October. I would always go to a neighborhood that gave out king sized chocolate bars, then my friends and I would methodically spend the rest of our evening organizing, trading and ultimately binge-eating our candy.  

I’m a chocolate lover at heart, so I was always happy to see a Kit Kat, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup, Snickers Bar, Hershey’s, Peanut M&Ms or a Mr. Goodbar in my bucket, but my all-time favorite has to be Twix. Those were the most sought-after during our candy trade deals. There’s nothing quite as satisfying as the classic chocolate coating that starts to melt as soon as it touches your fingertips or the crisp cookie layer underneath. The ratio of chocolate to filling is perfect. The pull of the caramel, and the way it would inevitably get stuck in my teeth just a little, brings back fond memories of late October on the living room floor, surrounded by candy wrappers and sipping spiced cider. Kids these days don’t have the same luxury I used to, since the size of even fun-sized Twix bars has gotten smaller recently. Twix felt like utter decadence to my 8-year-old self. Scoring a king-sized was twice the pleasure, though, because there were technically two bars to enjoy. 

Hollianne Lao, Staff Writer 

Apparently when I was younger, during one particular Halloween, I ate so much candy that I went into a sugar coma. Or something to that effect, but I know I definitely threw up. My bad. Anyways, Halloween has always had a special place in my heart, but has only just recently returned to being one of my favorite holidays now that my friends like dressing up in costumes again. And now, I’ve gained more of an appreciation for all the different candy out there. I’m more of a chocolate lover, and will always be down for the snack size versions of the Hershey Dark Chocolate bars, Kit Kats and Crunch bars. I’m pretty sure when I did this roundtable last year, I dedicated it to Kit Kats (and rightly so), so I guess this time I’ll give some love to Snickers. I didn’t eat Snickers as a child, and I don’t know why, but I’m glad I tried them. The tiny, square-shaped Snickers they have for Halloween are the perfect bite of chocolate, peanuts and caramel. The peanut and caramel bring some salt to the chocolate that tone down its sweetness. If you want a perfect mix of the caramel from Twix and peanut from Reese’s, Snickers is your chocolate. Or, it’s mine. If you don’t want your Snickers, hand them my way. 

Melissa Scrivani, Associate Life Editor 

I’m a chocolate lover to the extreme. I’ll try anything that involves chocolate, from chocolate-covered potato chips to ribs covered in chocolate sauce, I’ve tasted it all. So, naturally, my favorite Halloween candy would be anything that involves chocolate. I would hand the Starbursts, Skittles and Airheads right over to my brother and in return I would ask for his Hershey bars, Twix, Reeses, Snickers and all of the chocolatey good stuff. I even like the more unpopular candy bars like Three Musketeers and Butterfinger.  

If I have to pick one favorite though, like Julia, I would have to pick Twix. There’s nothing that beats the combination of creamy milk chocolate and chewy, rich caramel. The caramel in Twix is unlike any other caramel in chocolate bars. I don’t know what it is, but it’s by far the most delicious in Twix. The crunchy biscuit at the core of the bar complements the sweetness and silkiness of the chocolate and caramel so well. Now that I’m past my trick-or-treating days, I tend to go for less extravagant chocolate bars and stick to the more basic stuff, and I feel like Twix fits in that category. It’s got the perfect amount of sweetness without making you feel sick. Any chocolate on Halloween makes me happy, but reaching into a big bowl of candy and pulling out a Twix from the shiny pile would always put an extra big smile on my face. 

Thumbnail photo by Dane Deaner on Unsplash