Thursday, April 25, 2024
HomeNewsSenate Executive Committee to be more open, transparent with students

Senate Executive Committee to be more open, transparent with students

One of the first USG Senate meetings of the year begins with discussion over the editing of certain bylaws and procedures within the organization. Newly appointed staff members introduce themselves.  Photo by Matthew Pickett / The Daily Campus.

One of the first USG Senate meetings of the year begins with discussion over the editing of certain bylaws and procedures within the organization. Newly appointed staff members introduce themselves. Photo by Matthew Pickett / The Daily Campus.

The University of Connecticut’s Senate Executive Committee wants to encourage students to be more vocal about issues on campus. 

The SEC’s purpose is to organize and coordinate the business of the University Senate, which is a legislative body responsible for “establishing minimum rules and general regulations of the education program and mission of the institution,” according to the University Senate website. It is made up mostly of members of the UConn Trustees, Administration, Faculty and Students (TAFS) committee. 

Victoria Makowsky, an English professor and the committee’s chair, said students can express their views to the Senate if they wish.  

“We want our students to have a voice on campus in order to create more transparency between the committee and UConn students,” Makowsky said. “We hope to also get student input on proposed changes to campus policies.” 

Makowsky said there are already various issues that would be of interest for students to provide their stance on. 

“We hope to bring awareness to revising and improving education,” Makowsky said.  

The Senate will hold a meeting in November discussing climate change as well as the recent racial incident on campus, according to Makowsky. 

She said it’s essential for students to have a voice on campus to promote freedom of expression. 

“We want to encourage students to talk about their feelings about the issues and to create talk on campus,” Makowsky said. “We want to find people to find that voice the university needs.” 

Last spring, the Senate had a discussion on the opioid crisis and its effect on UConn.  

Makowsky said the committee will choose topics that allow for people to be heard. 

“We want to discuss issues that directly affect all committees,” Makowsky said. “We want to have issues that students are already aware of.”

Anthony Zepperi is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at anthony.zepperi@uconn.edu.