State of Connecticut partners with ITS to facilitate student voter registration 

0
0
exc-5db23fbfa78919196eb03d0f

Oct. 17, the University of Connecticut’s Information Technology Services (ITS) provided a link on all UConn student’s Student Admin allowing students to register to vote. ConnPIRG incentivized voter registration by raising awareness and facilitating the application process on Fairfield Way.  Photo by Kevin Lindstrom / The Daily Campus

Oct. 17, the University of Connecticut’s Information Technology Services (ITS) provided a link on all UConn student’s Student Admin allowing students to register to vote. ConnPIRG incentivized voter registration by raising awareness and facilitating the application process on Fairfield Way. Photo by Kevin Lindstrom / The Daily Campus

On Oct. 17, the University of Connecticut’s Information Technology Services (ITS) provided a link on all UConn student’s Student Admin labeled “Connecticut Voter Registration.” The link allows all students to register to vote in the state of Connecticut simply by visiting the “Student Center” section of their portal under “Self-Service.”  

Connecting directly to the Connecticut Office of the Secretary of State’s website, this addition streamlines the voter registration process by allowing UConn to provide certain information, eliminate multiple steps and facilitate voter sign-ups. 

Michael Mundrane, vice president for ITS and chief information officer, noted why this change was so important and how it was achieved. 

“ITS has a direct connection to and interaction with students while voter registration takes place through a system run by their [Connecticut Secretary of State] office,” Mundrane said. “We were in a strong position to help students start the registration process while the Office of the Secretary of State has been committed to streamlining its completion. We were natural partners.” 

Mundrane said how it wasn’t very hard to make way for this change, and both organizations, ITS and the Connecticut Secretary of State Office, wanted it to come into fruition. 

“I approved this modest project for ITS by prioritizing it over other work. I imagine the Office of the Secretary of State did the same,” Mundrane said. 

Mundrane referenced the shared goal that this initiative had: to encourage students to vote. 

“I do not presume to speak for the state, but I know that they and the university value student participation in our elections,” Mundrane said. “I think I can safely say that we are both delighted to have completed this initiative in time for upcoming elections.” 

Sean Donovan is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.m.donovan@uconn.edu