Men’s soccer falls at Temple

0
5

UConn men's soccer team hosts #11 seed UCF at Dillion Stadium. UCF scored their game winner just a few minutes in overtime.  Photo by Eric Yang/The Daily Campus

UConn men’s soccer team hosts #11 seed UCF at Dillion Stadium. UCF scored their game winner just a few minutes in overtime. Photo by Eric Yang/The Daily Campus

The UConn men’s soccer team suffered a 2-1 defeat at American Conference opponent Temple on Saturday. The loss was the Huskies’ third straight and dropped their record to 4-10-1 overall and 1-4 in conference play.  

The Owls (7-6-1, 3-1-1 The American) took the lead in the 26th minute on a rebound as Michael Borger turned in a deflection off the post for the opening goal. UConn equalized eight minutes later as junior defender Jake Dengler pounced on the ball off a save from the Temple goalkeeper and finished into an empty net. The goal marked Dengler’s second in the last two games. 

The Huskies continued to press and actually held a 9-8 advantage in shots for the game, but were unable to pull ahead and allowed Temple to find the winner off a corner kick in the 61st minute as Pierre Cayet headed in a ball from Lukas Fernandes. 

UConn will look to get back on track Friday as they travel to Dallas to take on No. 11 SMU, their third straight American Conference opponent. The Mustangs are 12-1-1 and sit second in the American Conference standings.  

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.