Fall Fest: UConn Greek life gives back to Mansfield community  

0
0

The Center for Fraternity and Sorority Development hosts Fall Fest this Sunday at Husky Village. Even in the pouring rain, kids came to the houses for trick-or-treating.  Photos by Charlotte Lao / The Daily Campus.

The Center for Fraternity and Sorority Development hosts Fall Fest this Sunday at Husky Village. Even in the pouring rain, kids came to the houses for trick-or-treating. Photos by Charlotte Lao / The Daily Campus.

Mother Nature had a different set of plans for this year’s Fall Fest. Previously known as Husky Halloween, the day’s purpose was to give back to the children and families of Mansfield in a fun and interactive way. Despite the consistent downpour forcing the cancellation of various events, UConn students still showed their Halloween spirit.  

The Center for Fraternity and Sorority Development had an exciting day planned before the rain prompted a complete shift of events. Mery Fajardo, the event’s organizer, originally arranged for a pumpkin painting station, lawn games and crafts, but eventually decided to shift everything into individual Husky Village Houses.  

The Kappa Alpha Theta house set up decorations in their common room to create a warm ambiance for trick-or-treaters. A bucket of candy was filled, along with two large boxes of Insomnia goodies. The lack of children — who understandably did not want to soak themselves to gather candy — did not stop UConn students from seizing the day.  

First-semester healthcare management major Stephanie Benedictus, enjoyed how she was able to simultaneously spend time with the UConn community and Mansfield community.  

“I know I don’t give back to the Mansfield community enough, so this provides a perfect way to do so while also bonding with my sorority sisters,” she said. 

Everyone was in the common room, bonding with fellow sisters and brothers in other organizations.  

Emily Wang, first-semester biology major, said her favorite part was interacting with the kids.  

“My favorite part of Fall Fest is seeing the kids’ faces light up when you give them candy. It’s an uplifting time with the community,” she said.  

Fall Fest was an amazing way to kick off the start of the Halloween week, and what’s more fun than going trick-or-treating not once, but twice?  

Jordana Castelli is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at jordana.castelli@uconn.edu.