Double singles off of Coldplay’s new double album

0
1

Coldplay’s two new singles “Orphans” and “Arabesque” dropped last Thursday.  Photo courtesy of    bbc.co.uk

Coldplay’s two new singles “Orphans” and “Arabesque” dropped last Thursday. Photo courtesy of bbc.co.uk

It’s been an exciting week for new music, with “Orphans” and “Arabesque” from Coldplay not quite shaking up the charts, but surprising fans all the same. I know that I’ve been wondering what the band has been doing, since their social media had been fairly quiet in recent months, so this release is timely, to say the least. After an extended hiatus, the British rock band recently revealed to fans not only the release of a new album, but also the two aforementioned songs off of “Everyday Life,” which is coming out later this year on Nov. 22. “Orphans” and “Arabesque” dropped last Thursday, with the former accompanied by a music video and the latter accompanied by a visual lyric video. 

The release comes less than two weeks of the band teasing new music, such as spreading cryptic billboards across the bill and a posted teaser video with similar themes, according to Global News. Additionally, last Monday, some fans received type-written letters from the band with details about a new album. 

“We have been working on a thing called Everything Life,” the letter, signed by front man Chris Martin, bassist Guy Berryman, guitarist Jonny Buckland and drummer Will Champion, read. It also revealed that the new album will actually be a double LP with dual records. “In the classifieds you might write ‘double album for sale, one very careful owner.’ One half is called ‘sunrise,’ the other ‘sunset.’” 

The two new singles off “Everyday Life” represent the duality of the new album, with “Orphans” featuring upbeat tones similar to that of “A Head Full of Dreams,” “Life in Technicolor ii” and “Arabesque” veering a bit more instrumental and thematic. The latter’s international vibes is further created with French vocals from Belgian artist Stromae and horns from Femi Kuti and his band, according to Pitchfork media. 

The “Orphans” music video carries out the joyous sound of the song, although in typical Coldplay fashion, does not necessarily feature anything about orphans. Instead, it includes a montage of sets of different kinds, reminiscent of the chaotic beauty of everyday life. Martin and the band dance and sing the song with a children’s choir “against a backdrop of blooming flowers and a spinning, rustic-looking hallway,” as described by Rolling Stone.

“I want to know when I can go/Back and get drunk with my friends,” Martin sings as an introduction and in the chorus. The “woo-woos,” saxophone solos and horn sections only punctuate the upbeat sound of the song. I will say that I do enjoy “Orphans” more because of its nostalgic tone, but I do appreciate Coldplay’s diversity of sounds and the uniqueness of “Arabesque.” Even nine albums later, I know that the band can always bring something new and fresh yet familiar to the musical landscape, so I don’t mind waiting four years for them to reach that point. 

“Everyday Life,” their eighth studio album, is dropping four years after the release of “A Head Full of Dreams.” As discussed in the same article by Global News, the track list of the two sides was revealed in different newspapers around the world under the advertising section, with eight tracks each on both “Sunrise” and “Sunset.” 

“It’s all about just being human,” Martin said in an interview with Annie Mac on BBC Radio 1 when discussing the new album. “It is our reaction to the perceived negativity that’s everywhere. And there is a lot of trouble, but there’s also so much positivity and so much great life happening. So in a way, it’s just trying to make sense of things, saying what we feel and what we see.” 

Hollie Lao is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.