‘The Whale Tea’ has the flavor but is pricey

0
1

Whale Tea is a new bubble tea place in Storrs Center. They offer a variety of flavors like Thai milk tea, strawberry milk tea, taro milk tea and brown sugar milk tea.  Photo by Brandon Barzola/The Daily Campus

Whale Tea is a new bubble tea place in Storrs Center. They offer a variety of flavors like Thai milk tea, strawberry milk tea, taro milk tea and brown sugar milk tea. Photo by Brandon Barzola/The Daily Campus

“The Whale Tea” is the latest addition to the Downtown Storrs shopping center and one of a number of locations that offers bubble tea in Storrs Center. I found out about this spot through my friends’ snapchat stories and was intrigued by the beauty that was in their cups. The University of Connecticut area is limited in diverse cuisines and I always wanted a quality bubble tea place (the chewiness of the tapioca balls really does matter). I decided to take a trip to Storrs Center with my friend to see if The Whale Tea could meet my expectations. The verdict: It did. But I am not a fan of the pricing and believe the flavors could’ve been stronger. 

Bubble tea is a Taiwanese tea-based drink that contains either chewy tapioca balls, jelly or any topping available, depending on the shop. The Whale Tea has 10 flavors of bubble tea to choose from with optional toppings. I ordered the Brown Sugar Fresh Milk and the Strawberry Fresh Milk. It seems the Brown Sugar Fresh Milk was popular on the first day I went because I saw multiple people ordering the same drink. My friend opted out of buying a tea for herself because it was pricey.   

I enjoyed my brown sugar tea, mainly because the tapioca was very chewy. However, the dominant flavor was milk, with only a faint sweet taste. The strawberry drink was given to another friend who enjoyed the flavor, though the store ran out of tapioca for his order and the rest of the customers who came after me.  

“Little expensive but really liked it. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get the boba since they ran out, which is surprising,” said third-semester finance major Juwan Sims.   

I ordered my drinks around 5 p.m., so I assumed the Whale Tea had a very busy day, since they ran out of tapioca four hours before closing. My friend who opted out of purchasing a drink tried both the brown sugar and the strawberry teas.  

Storrs Center opens new bubble tea shop, “The Whale Tea”. The shop offers ten different flavors of drinks with added toppings.  Photo by Cindy Lam/The Daily Campus

Storrs Center opens new bubble tea shop, “The Whale Tea”. The shop offers ten different flavors of drinks with added toppings. Photo by Cindy Lam/The Daily Campus

“Both taste great. The prices are a bit expensive but the place looked nice,” said third-semester exploratory major Leslie Caballero.  

Luckily, I was invited by another group of friends to visit the shop the next day. I ordered the Matcha Fresh Milk, which was tasty. The matcha flavor was strong and I enjoyed the chewy tapioca. The Matcha Fresh Milk was $5.50.   

The Whale Tea has good quality drinks and a variety of flavors to choose from. Anyone can find something they like. Also, the staff members are friendly. The majority of the staff spoke Chinese and are likely to call out your order number in Chinese. The drinks are pricey considering our orders were only in 10-ounce cups.   

The Whale Tea is a great addition to Storrs Center. Students have easy access to delicious drinks and a variety to choose from. I will return when I have extra money to spare and am craving bubble tea.  

Rating: 4/5 

Cindy Lam is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached at cindy.lam@uconn.edu.