Robert Pattinson and Zoë Kravitz team up for ‘The Batman’ 

0
0
exc-5db8de45888fb410bd274062

There’s been a lot of talk surrounding director Matt Reeves’ newest project “The Batman.” When it was announced that Robert Pattinson would be playing Batman, reactions were mixed.  

“The announcement naturally caused controversy right away, since the actor is still most widely known as the glowing, brooding vampire Edward Cullen in the ‘Twilight’ series,” according to an article from Cinema Blend.

While some fans may have a hard time shaking off the vampire image of Pattinson, he has done a plethora of work that is far from his “Twilight” days. He has been in critically successful films such as “The Lighthouse,” “Good Time” and “High Life.” 

Pattinson may not be the first actor that comes to mind when it comes to Batman, however given his box office and critical success, plus his age, he seems to be the perfect fit to play the superhero in the minds of Hollywood producers. 

Then there is Zoë Kravitz as Catwoman. Unlike Pattinson, Kravitz did not receive the same backlash for being cast as Batman’s feline foe. Kravitz has been featured in films such as “Gemini,” “Mad Max- Fury Road” and “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.”  

“I mean, I’ve been friends with her for like 10 years and she’s brilliant,” Pattinson said in an interview with Entertainment Tonight, in response to Kravitz playing Catwoman.    

Kravitz will be playing the fifth iteration of Catwoman in a Batman movie, with actresses Lee Meriweather, Michelle Pfeiffer, Halle Berry and Anne Hathaway all playing the villain. As for Pattinson, he will be the seventh version of Batman to be portrayed on screen. Actors that have played the dark knight include Adam West, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Christain Bale and Ben Affleck.  

After the announcement that Kravitz was cast as Catwoman, Paul Dano was cast as the Riddler, a well-known villain in the Batman universe. The role was previously occupied by Frank Gorshin, who played Riddler in the 1966 movie “Batman” and Jim Carrey who was Riddler in 1995’s “Batman Forever.”  

Dano has been featured in films such as “Little Miss Sunshine,” “Swiss Army Man” and “12 Years a Slave.” He also co-wrote and directed “Wildlife,” which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival on Jan. 20, 2018. 

“The Batman” is set to be released on June 25, 2021 and will be distributed by Warner Bros. It will be the ninth film in the DC Extended Universe, which has released films such as “Suicide Squad,” “Wonder Woman” and “Shazam.” Catwoman will be making her DCEU debut in “The Batman,” while Pattinson will be the second actor to play Batman in the DCEU after Affleck, who played Batman in “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” “Suicide Squad” and “Justice League.” 

As the days leading up to “The Batman” premiere get closer, more casting information will be announced and filming is expected to start in early 2020. Primary filming will take place at Warner Bros. Studios Leavesden in the U.K. according to HN Entertainment.  

Photo courtesy of Steve Granitz from GQ

Ian Ward is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at ian.ward@uconn.edu