Student Pulse Survey used to gauge UConn experience 

0
2

The Division of Student Affairs’ Student Pulse Survey is a critical tool to gauge student experiences on the University of Connecticut’s Storrs campus. The survey usually contains 5-6 questions and takes less than two minutes to complete, according to the website.  Photo by Tulsi Patel / The Daily Campus

The Division of Student Affairs’ Student Pulse Survey is a critical tool to gauge student experiences on the University of Connecticut’s Storrs campus. The survey usually contains 5-6 questions and takes less than two minutes to complete, according to the website. Photo by Tulsi Patel / The Daily Campus

The Division of Student Affairs’ Student Pulse Survey is a critical tool to gauge student experiences on the University of Connecticut’s Storrs campus, according to Daniel Doerr, assistant to the vice president for Student Affairs. 

“Student Pulse is an initiative to gather broad data related to how UConn undergraduate students are experiencing services and programs offered through the Division of Student Affairs, and engaging in behaviors and experiences related to student success and well-being,” the Student Pulse Initiative website says.  

The survey usually contains 5-6 questions and takes less than two minutes to complete, according to the website. The survey is sent once a month to a group of students and each student should expect to receive 3-4 Student Pulse survey over the course of an academic year. 

Doerr said student feedback is a crucial part of their decision making, and the data they gather from the Student Pulse Survey is critical for guiding them to fulfill the Division’s strategic priorities like student health and well-being, diversity, engagement and organizational effectiveness. 

“The data collected via the Student Pulse surveys help us consider how best to enhance or revise our programs and services in ways that are both responsive to students’ experiences and support our current set of priorities,” Doerr said. 

While the data gathered is not looked at on an individual level, it is broken down into various demographics to gauge how different groups view their time at UConn. Doerr said the data gathered for various demographics can greatly influence the steps they take. 

“The results of the data analyses are shared with departments within the Division at several key points throughout the year so that any insights identified can be incorporated into planning processes, initiative development and resource allocation,” Doerr said. 

Issues begin to arise, though, when students do not participate in the survey. Doerr said that the Division of Student Affairs understands that students are busy, but the survey allows them to more accurately address the needs of students. 

“The average time to complete the surveys is about 55 seconds. But the time they take to fill out the Student Pulse Surveys is appreciated and meaningful,” Doerr said. “The data are considered carefully and help inform the services and programs we provide to students.” 

Thomas Alvarez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at thomas.alvarez@uconn.edu.