UConn in the Pros: Former Huskies continue to produce 

0
2

New York Jets tight end Ryan Griffin, center, runs into the end zone for a touchdown between Jacksonville Jaguars defensive back Jarrod Wilson (26) and cornerback Tre Herndon (37) during the first half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 27, 2019, in Jacksonville, Fla. (AP Photo/Stephen B. Morton)

Late October is arguably one of, if not the, best times of the year when it comes to professional sports. The World Series draws to a close, the highly-anticipated NBA season has begun and the NFL continues to produce plenty of storylines every week. Huskies across the leagues have had great performances in recent days, giving UConn fans everywhere plenty to be excited about. 

As if most Saturdays weren’t tough enough, on most Sundays UConn fans are reminded yet again that they lack something legitimate to cheer for. This past week was different, thanks to tight end Ryan Griffin of the New York Jets. The 2013 6th round pick hauled in New York’s two scores on six receptions and caught a 2-pt conversion totaling 66 yards. Griffin nearly matched his season totals in receptions, yards and scores in the team’s 29-15 loss to Jacksonville. Despite his limited role early in the season, this could prove to be a turning point in his involvement in the offense. 

Toronto Raptors' Fred VanVleet (23) defends against Boston Celtics' Kemba Walker (8) during the first half of an NBA basketball game in Boston, Friday, Oct. 25, 2019. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)

Toronto Raptors’ Fred VanVleet (23) defends against Boston Celtics’ Kemba Walker (8) during the first half of an NBA basketball game in Boston, Friday, Oct. 25, 2019. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)

Former Huskies have had strong starts on the hardwood as the NBA season kicked off last week. Kemba Walker had a less-than-stellar opening night game, scoring just 12 points in his Boston debut. The UConn great followed it up with two cardiac-esque performances, knocking off the reigning champions Raptors and the New York Knicks. Walker has orchestrated the Celtic offense, leading the team in scoring, averaging 22 points per contest. 

Andre Drummond has dominated the paint in a way that very few are capable of. The leading offensive and defensive rebounder from last season has picked up right where he left off. The former ninth overall pick has posted double-doubles in each of Detroit’s first four games, as well as tallying 11 blocks over the same stretch. Although the Pistons are still believed to be years away from competing for a championship, it is encouraging to see Drummond reach an elite level of play in the league. 

And then there’s game seven: The two best words in sports. For the third time in four years, the entire MLB season came down to a single game. George Springer has been here before, leading the Astros to their first crown in 2017. Although he has struggled as of late, only batting .217 throughout the playoffs, Springer still poses a huge threat to pitchers and is a veteran presence in the clubhouse. Houston will rely on him to break out in the winner-take-all game against Washington, which, by the time this is being published, will already have taken place.

Thumbnail photo of Andre Drummond (Frank Gunn/Canadian Press via AP)

Matt Severino is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matt.severino@uconn.edu. He tweets @matt_seve.