Elizabeth Warren proposed to her husband … in a UConn Law lecture hall?

0
1
exc-5dbb80e92fd975438d4a9d70

Democratic presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren reveals in her CNN interview that she proposed to her husband Bruce Mann in a UConn Law lecture hall.  AP Photo/Elise Amendola

Democratic presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren reveals in her CNN interview that she proposed to her husband Bruce Mann in a UConn Law lecture hall. AP Photo/Elise Amendola

In a recent interview with CNN, Democratic presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren said she proposed to her now-husband Bruce Mann in a lecture hall after he finished teaching a law class. 

“I’d watched him teach a class … so I’m sitting in the back of the room while he’s teaching and he taught a really good class … and he walks back in this big empty classroom and he says, ‘Well, what’d you think?’ And I said ‘Great, will you marry me?’ And he said ‘Yes!’ And that was it,” Warren said.  

While Warren doesn’t specifically reference UConn as the setting where she popped the question, in a 2016 Facebook post commemorating their anniversary, she explained more of the background behind the proposal. 

“It made no sense at all,” the post said.  “Bruce was teaching in Connecticut, and I was teaching in Houston.” 

According to the blog Western Mass Politics and Insight, Mann taught for two years at UConn Law before moving to Houston to raise a family with Warren. 

“According to Law School archives, the courses Mann taught over two years at the law school, which was then located in West Hartford on Asylum Avenue, included (sp.) Property, Legal History and Trusts and Estates,” the blog said. 

Fifth-semester allied health major Rike Tyles said she thinks the proposal is something special for UConn. 

“It’s neat that she has a Connecticut connection, especially in this unique way,” Tyles said. 

Mann currently teaches law at Harvard Law School while Warren is on the campaign trail, polling at 17% of the Democratic vote in a recent USA Today/Suffolk poll.

Thumbnail photo courtesy of AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall, File

Luke Hajdasz is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at luke.hajdasz@uconn.edu.