In Case You Missed It: What happened this week in national news

0
0
exc-5dbb85409521884696a365fa

Jeffrey Epstein Death Investigation 

Jeffrey Epstein's murder is being investigated after being found dead in his cell awaiting trial for sex trafficking charges. Barbara Sampson ruled Epstein’s death as suicide by hanging.  AP Photo/Jeff Roberson, File

Jeffrey Epstein’s murder is being investigated after being found dead in his cell awaiting trial for sex trafficking charges. Barbara Sampson ruled Epstein’s death as suicide by hanging. AP Photo/Jeff Roberson, File

A famed forensic pathologist who was hired by the brother of disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein claimed on Wednesday that he believes Epstein was murdered, contradicting the findings of the New York City Chief Medical Examiner Barbara Sampson, who ruled Epstein’s death as suicide by hanging. Dr. Michael Baden, who was present for Epstein’s autopsy, said the amount of fractures in Epstein’s neck and the hemorrhages in his eyes are more consistent to death by strangulation than hanging. Epstein was found dead in his cell on Aug. 10 at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in New York while awaiting trial for sex trafficking charges. Sampson released a statement Wednesday standing by the assertion that Epstein killed himself and said the office will not be opening up a second investigation into his death.  

Impeachment Vote 

Rep. Steve Scalise, R-LA., holds up a copy of the House tally, with all Republicans who voted opposing the resolution, while speaking during a news conference on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, Oct. 31, 2019.  AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais

Rep. Steve Scalise, R-LA., holds up a copy of the House tally, with all Republicans who voted opposing the resolution, while speaking during a news conference on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, Oct. 31, 2019. AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais

On Thursday, the United States House of Representatives voted 232-196 to approve a resolution on impeachment inquiry ground rules against President Donald Trump. Two Democrats, Rep. Jeff Van Drew of New Jersey and Colin Peterson of Minnesota, voted against the resolution. All Republican representatives present voted against the resolution. The resolution explains how the House Intelligence Committee will conduct the hearings and grant Republicans the power to request witnesses and issue subpoenas only with the permission of the chair. House Democrats are hopeful to hold impeachment hearings prior to Thanksgiving and possibly vote on Trump’s impeachment by Christmas, though that timeline is subject to change. Trump tweeted Thursday, “The Greatest Witch Hunt in American History!” in response to the proceedings.  

Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi Death 

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., center, listens as President Donald Trump speaks in the Diplomatic Room of the White House in Washington, Sunday, Oct. 27, 2019, to announce that Islamic State group leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has been killed during a U.S. raid in Syria.  AP Photo/Andrew Harnik

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., center, listens as President Donald Trump speaks in the Diplomatic Room of the White House in Washington, Sunday, Oct. 27, 2019, to announce that Islamic State group leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has been killed during a U.S. raid in Syria. AP Photo/Andrew Harnik

On Monday, President Trump announced that the leader of ISIS, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, was killed in a suicide attempt during a U.S. raid to capture or kill him on Saturday. Conan, a military K-9 dog, was able to successfully chase and corner al-Baghdadi in an underground tunnel. Conan was slightly injured when al-Baghdadi detonated his suicide vest, but has since recovered and returned to service. The explosion also killed three of al-Baghdadi’s children and caused the tunnel the group was seeking refuge in, to collapse. On Thursday, the Islamic State confirmed al-Baghdadi’s death and named Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Quraishi as its new leader. Al-Baghdadi’s remains were buried at sea roughly 24 hours after the raid.  

Keystone Pipeline Leak 

Keystone 1 Pipeline in North Dakota was shut down after a gallon oil leak. The pipeline is currently being investigated and being monitored by the North Dakota Department of Environmental Quality.  Photo by North Dakota Department of Environmental Quality/Taylor DeVries

Keystone 1 Pipeline in North Dakota was shut down after a gallon oil leak. The pipeline is currently being investigated and being monitored by the North Dakota Department of Environmental Quality. Photo by North Dakota Department of Environmental Quality/Taylor DeVries

Earlier this week, part of Keystone 1 Pipeline in North Dakota was shut down after a 383,040-gallon oil leak, which has since affected 2,500 square yards of land in a wetland area near Edinburg, North Dakota. An independent party is currently investigating into the cause of the leak, and the North Dakota Department of Environmental Quality has been monitoring the area for air quality and wildlife changes. The Indigenous Environmental Network, which advocated against the creation of the Keystone XL Pipeline, criticized those in charge of the pipeline, saying they have not done enough to ensure the safety of the network and that it is not a matter of if the pipe will burst, but when.  

Black Hole Discovery 

Astronomers from Ohio State University claim to discovered a new class of black holes after noticing a celestial body orbiting a red star. The black holes are smaller than those documented in the past.  Photo by     Pixabay     from     Pexels

Astronomers from Ohio State University claim to discovered a new class of black holes after noticing a celestial body orbiting a red star. The black holes are smaller than those documented in the past. Photo by Pixabay from Pexels

In a study published Thursday by the scientific journal Science, astronomers from the Ohio State University claim they have discovered a new class of black holes that are smaller than any that have been documented in the past. While studying a giant red star, the group noticed the celestial body was orbiting something too small to be a black hole, but too large to be classified as a neutron star. That something turned out to be a black hole that measures 3.3 times the mass of the Sun, which is significantly smaller than most classic black holes, which can measure more than 10 times the mass of our Sun. The researchers said the discovery will open doors to new discoveries about the life cycles of stars and which systems will and will not become black holes.  

Taylor Harton is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at taylor.harton@uconn.edu.