No. 3 Field Hockey to say farewell to seniors in regular season finale

0
3

The UConn Field Hockey team takes their third loss of the season during an intense game against Syracuse University on Sunday, Oct. 20. After going into two overtime periods with a tying score of 0-0, Syracuse won in a penalty shoot out.  Photo by Maggie Chafouleas/The Daily Campus

The UConn Field Hockey team takes their third loss of the season during an intense game against Syracuse University on Sunday, Oct. 20. After going into two overtime periods with a tying score of 0-0, Syracuse won in a penalty shoot out. Photo by Maggie Chafouleas/The Daily Campus

Three seniors will play their final regular season games in a UConn uniform this weekend, as the Huskies host Big East opponent Georgetown on Friday and regional rival UMass on Sunday.  

Svea Boker, Abby Lucas and Antonia Tiedtke will be honored on Sunday’s Senior Day. Lucas, playing behind standout goalkeeper Cheyenne Sprecher, has made three appearances this season after four last year and has allowed just one goal in her collegiate career, recording four saves. 

Tiedtke has been an every-game starter since the beginning of her sophomore year, proving to be one of UConn’s most reliable defenders and a penalty corner specialist. Last season, Tiedtke led the team in assists with 20, earning NFHCA All-Region Second Team honors. This year, Tiedtke once again leads the way in assists (14) to go along with three goals. 

Last but not least is Svea Boker, one of the most decorated forwards in UConn field hockey’s storied history. Having started nearly every game since she arrived, Boker was a Second Team All-American last season and is plenty deserving of a First Team spot this year, currently fourth in the country with 41 points on 17 goals and 11 assists. 

All three seniors are national champions as members of the 2017 championship team. During their four years, UConn has won every Big East regular season title and all three conference tournaments, and they look to add a fourth next weekend. 

First, the Huskies (14-3, 6-0 Big East) have some work to do this weekend. After clinching at least a share of the conference regular season last weekend, UConn has a chance to claim the title outright with a victory over Georgetown on Friday.  

The odds will be heavily in UConn’s favor, as he Huskies have won 38 straight Big East games, while Georgetown (5-12, 1-5 Big East) has just one conference victory on the season and comes in on a nine-game losing streak. UConn has a 15-0 all-time record against Georgetown. 

The wheels have simply come off the wagon for the Hoyas, their last win being over a month ago on Sept. 22. Scoring has been hard to come by, averaging just 1.35 goals per game. Junior Cami Osborne has a team-high six goals this season. No other player has more than four. 

If UConn prevails on Friday evening, it’ll wrap up the regular season conference title no matter what second-place Old Dominion (9-6, 5-1 Big East) does this weekend against Villanova. If the Huskies lose and OD wins, they’ll share the title, though UConn technically holds the tiebreaker, having beaten the Monarchs 6-2, earlier this season. 

Sunday’s Senior Day opponent is UMass in what will be the 54th meeting between the programs. UConn currently holds a 37-13-3 advantage in the all-time series, having won the last eight matchups. 

The Minutemen (9-8, 5-2 A10) have won five of their last six, fresh off a 2-1 victory over UMass Lowell on Tuesday. Junior Lucy Cooper leads the team with 17 points on six goals and five assists. Junior goalkeeper Marlise van Tonder began the season as a backup but earned the starting role five games in and has started every game since. She has accumulated a .757 save percentage and 56 saves. 

Though it’ll be an emotional and bittersweet weekend for the Huskies, head coach Nancy Stevens’ squad will certainly be focused on the task at hand. Friday’s match against Georgetown begins at 6 p.m., Sunday’s at 1 p.m., both at the Sherman Family Sports Complex on campus.  

Andrew Morrison is the sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.morrison@uconn.edu. He tweets @asmor24.