Town Council Candidate Profile: Charles Ausburger

0
0

Republican Charles Ausburger is running for a spot on the Mansfield Town Council  Photo provided by candidate.

Republican Charles Ausburger is running for a spot on the Mansfield Town Council Photo provided by candidate.

Republican Charles Ausburger is running for a spot on the Mansfield Town Council, hoping to keep Mansfield the way it is. 

“I would rather things stay the same,” Ausburger said. “I would like to see some tax relief. There’s been 20 years of majority rule by a certain party that has seen nothing but tax increase year after year.” 

Last election cycle, Ausburger won a seat on the Mansfield Town Council,  but stepped down after a brief time served due to health issues.  

Ausburger’s family came to Mansfield in 1849, “before UConn,” Ausburger said. He has lived in town 57 years – his entire life.  

Ausburger said the biggest problems facing the town right now are tax increases and the possibility of building a new, centralized elementary school. 

“People want tax relief, they want a break from all the mess,” Ausburger said. “The majority party wants to continually build, build, build, build.” 

Ausburger said the potential location chosen for the new elementary school is what’s most concerning, calling it both “irresponsible and foolish,” and expressed concern for traffic congestion. 

“Now the whole road [will] be backed up,” Ausburger said. “It’s a whole different dynamic and I’ve heard from people that it’s a very dangerous road.” 

Ausburger was also worried about the design of the school. 

“This design is not very energy efficient,” Ausburger said. “The first net zero school in New York City is a big huge square. If you make it a big square, I guarantee it can be net zero, not the way it is.” 

Ausburger said there are too many unanswered questions about the proposed new elementary school. 

“Lots of comments, not a lot of answers,” Ausburger said. “For example, what are you going to do with the old ones?” 

Ausburger currently sits as chairman of Mansfield Republican Town Committee. 

Luke Hajdasz is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at luke.hajdasz@uconn.edu.