My Chemical Romance is back and I’m not okay (I promise)

0
1

Rock band, My Chemical Romance announced their reunion on Twitter on Oct. 31. Tickets for their reunion concert went on sale on Nov 1. and sold out within 30 minutes.  Photo courtesy of    altpress.com

Rock band, My Chemical Romance announced their reunion on Twitter on Oct. 31. Tickets for their reunion concert went on sale on Nov 1. and sold out within 30 minutes. Photo courtesy of altpress.com

After breaking up almost seven years ago, My Chemical Romance announced their reunion on Twitter on Oct. 31. Despite numerous reunion rumours through the years and subsequent denials, this time it’s actually happening. And it only took 2,414 days for them to get back together.  

The tweet advertised a reunion performance in California and contained the caption “Like Phantoms Forever…” This title shares the same name as the first EP MCR released in 2002, which means the tweet is not only a look to the future but a nod to the past. 

The reunion concert is on Dec. 20 at 7 p.m. at Shrine Expo Hall in Los Angeles, which will be the band’s first time performing together since 2012. Tickets went on sale at 12 p.m. PST on Nov. 1 and sold out within 30 minutes. Aside from the concert, nothing else was announced about the reunion or whether a larger tour or new music will follow.  

In addition to the tweet, the band launched their Instagram and posted several new designs and logos on their story. There were four: A candle, a water droplet, a hand and what appeared to be a sun. Each one was captioned as “ex. 1: Clarity,” “ex. 2: Courage,” “ex. 3: Sacrifice” and “ex. 4: Devotion.” The logo following them combined all four designs around the letters “MCR.” The candle design is the new profile picture on all of the band’s social media.  

On Nov. 2, the band took to Twitter again to thank their fans for their support. 

“It is truly unbelievable to us the happiness we have experienced over the past two days,” they wrote. “From the bottom of our hearts, thank you for the warm welcome back. We truly did not expect this. See you soon. Xoxo, MCR.” 

When the band broke up on March 22, 2013, lead singer Gerard Way published a note explaining it.  

“My Chemical Romance is done,” Way wrote. “But it can never die.”  

If the sold-out show and massive fan response across social media prove anything, it’s that Way was right: The band never died, and its fans are just as devoted as they were seven years ago.  

Courtney Gavitt is the associate digital editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at courtney.gavitt@uconn.edu.