Cam Ross wants to break the numbers 

0
1
exc-5dc36e5bbc13a462d7f47bb6

He’s got 46 receptions, 516 receiving yards and two touchdowns, leading the team in all three categories—and he’s only a freshman. 

He’s the No. 3 freshman in the country in both receptions and receiving yards, and is No. 42 and No. 91 among all players in those categories, respectively. In October, he was named to the Football Writers Association of America Freshman All-American Watch List, getting recognized for his outstanding 2019. Cam Ross is a budding star for the Huskies, and he’s in the midst of a great freshman campaign. 

“The freshman All-American thing took me by surprise,” Ross said. “But at the same time, not surprised, because I know how hard I prepared for this, know how hard I worked.” 

Not even Ross could have fully expected how involved he would be in the offense at the beginning of the season. 

“I expected to have some type of role; I knew I was going to have the mindset to come in and try to take a spot, try to establish a role on this team. I would have never envisioned where I’m at right now, but I’m just blessed to be here.” 

For head coach Randy Edsall, Ross is a player he is looking to build the program back up with. 

“He’s another guy that loves the game, loves to compete, and he’s not afraid to work hard,” Edsall said. “There was times on Saturday [vs. UMass] when he wasn’t even on the field, and he ran out into the endzone to congratulate guys from the sideline; that’s the kind of kid that he is. What I like about him is he just goes about his business and he doesn’t say much, he just works. Need more guys like him.” 

While one can never know exactly how a potential recruit will translate into the college game, Edsall quickly assessed that Ross could be a core part of the team going forward.  

“Cam is a young man who has a very good work ethic,” Edsall said. “He had an understanding before he came here of what it takes to be successful. He’s had two brothers that played at this level and came from a really good program out of high school, so he knew how to work. He was disciplined, comes from a really good family.” 

Not only did his brothers, Brandon and Jarrett, play Division I football, but they played for Edsall himself at Maryland. Cam has known Edsall for years, and it’s the relationship they fostered over the years of him tagging along with his brothers that not only helped bring him to Storrs but also continued throughout the year. 

“[The relationship is] very trusting,” Ross said. “I know he has good intentions behind whatever he does, I know he cares about me off the field as well as on the field.” 

In this photo, UConn loses to the Navy Midshipmen 10-56 on Friday night at Rentschler Field. Ross has three games left this season to make his case for a spot on the freshman All-American team, and he’s set himself up with a great chance to do so.  Photo by Kevin Lindstrom / The Daily Campus

In this photo, UConn loses to the Navy Midshipmen 10-56 on Friday night at Rentschler Field. Ross has three games left this season to make his case for a spot on the freshman All-American team, and he’s set himself up with a great chance to do so. Photo by Kevin Lindstrom / The Daily Campus

Ross is also close with quarterback Jack Zergiotis, not just because their on-field connection is possibly the best on the team, but also because they are roommates. 

“It helps tremendously,” Ross said. “Building that bond, that bond off the field is just as important. Having that trust off the field, it leads to trust on the field. When we talk and everything, both of us knowing that we have the same mindset, we have the same goals, it just leads to our progress on the field and what we’re trying to achieve.” 

Ross said at night they often go over film, or just talk about upcoming opponents, discussing weaknesses in the defense they can take advantage of, which often translates to success during the game. 

“I think our relationship definitely helps,” Zergiotis said. “We set high goals for ourselves, and ultimately we want to attain those.” 

Ross said that he wants to keep pushing himself this season because he hasn’t yet done everything he knows he can do, and that every week he goes in with the mindset to do more. 

“If I were to have a good week, I want to have a better week next week. Just trying to raise the bar for myself, cause I just have high expectations for myself,” said Ross. 

Ross has three games left this season to make his case for a spot on the freshman All-American team, and he’s set himself up with a great chance to do so. 

He’s got high goals for himself, and they center around one main idea: 

“I want to break the numbers.” 

Thumbnail photo courtesy of @UConnFootball Twitter

Jorge Eckardt is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at Jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu. He tweets @jorge_eckardt31