The Buildings of Storrs: Thomas Buckley Residence Hall

0
2
exc-5dc37593772f2c7a8e0216d8

Thomas Buckley Hall was named after Thomas Buckley, the youngest member of the Connecticut House of Representatives and the chairman of the Committee of Labor.  File Photo / The Daily Campus.

Thomas Buckley Hall was named after Thomas Buckley, the youngest member of the Connecticut House of Representatives and the chairman of the Committee of Labor. File Photo / The Daily Campus.

Continuing on the eastern part of the University of Connecticut, today’s edition of Buildings of Storrs will look at Thomas Buckley Hall. 

According to the book “What’s in a Name? A Fact Book About Residence Halls at UConn,” Thomas Buckley was born in Stafford, Connecticut, a small town close to the Massachusetts border, in 1885. He attended schools in Connecticut and Massachusetts before studying law at the University of Maine.  

Buckley earned his bachelor’s degree in law in 1907, practicing law in Hartford. Only two years later, at the age of 24, Buckley was currently the youngest member of the Connecticut House of Representatives and became chairman of the Committee of Labor.  

In 1917, the United States joined the First World War. When he joined the army, Buckley reached the rank of major due to his education and background. Although he did not see action, he headed the administration of the draft in Connecticut. According to the website Connecticut in World War One, created by the Connecticut State Library, over 63,000 men from Connecticut were conscripted or volunteered to join the armed forces. 

“What’s in a Name?” describes Buckley’s later years, serving from 1924 to 1933 as the District Attorney for the State of Connecticut. He also became a trustee of UConn in 1926 and remained one until 1940. He passed in 1959 at the age of 74. 

Buckley Hall was built in 1969, under President Homer Babbidge. The dorm and nearby Shippee Hall provide residence to first year students enrolled in the Honors program, a program for high-performing students that began in 1965. The dining room built into the residence hall is the smallest on campus, according to the book “Red Brick in the Land of Steady Habits.” 

Samuel Katz is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached at samuel.katz@uconn.edu.