Fridays for Future holds ‘Cozy Strike,’ continues protests with new executive board

0
1

Members of the environmental activism group Fridays For Future stage a sit-in in Gulley Hall for the third week in a row on Friday, Oct. 18, 2019. The group’s recent strike Friday at noon took place at the university seal.  Photos by Maggie Chafouleas / The Daily Campus.

Members of the environmental activism group Fridays For Future stage a sit-in in Gulley Hall for the third week in a row on Friday, Oct. 18, 2019. The group’s recent strike Friday at noon took place at the university seal. Photos by Maggie Chafouleas / The Daily Campus.

The University of Connecticut’s chapter of Fridays for Future, an environmental activist group, held a “Cozy Strike” Friday at noon where students brought blankets and warm drinks as they sat out at the university seal. 

The club cites reminding the Board of Trustees of the dissatisfaction students have with university energy use, protesting UConn’s fossil fuel holdings, and advocating for the need for greater transparency in climate-driven decision making as driving factors for the protest. 

Elizabeth D’Andrea, a fifth-semester human development and family studies major and current president of the group, spoke about how the administration has been responding to them so far. 

“Tom Kat is trying to work with us and make UConn more sustainable.” D’Andrea said. “He’s halted the cogen plant, for example.” 

President Thomas Katsouleas halted phase two of construction of the Cogen energy plant, which was a primary goal of the original executive board of Fridays for Future when they started their climate campaign this year. 

Roughly two weeks ago, the entire executive board of Fridays for Future resigned and club members were informed via email. The group, however, remains committed to staging sit-ins every Friday, along with organizing other events. 

D’Andrea confirmed that the resignation of the e-board has not interfered with the structure and goals of the club. 

“We have a lot of really committed people right now on our new e-board, people that were involved prior to our old e-board leaving,” D’Andrea said. “We’re actually in really good shape.” 

The club holds events every Friday as Greta Thunberg did; she is a climate activist who initiated the Fridays for Future movement, and plans to write an updated list of their demands with ways in which UConn can implement them. 

The cozy strike closed at 1 p.m. with members walking to Gulley Hall, which houses Katsouleas’ office, to continue the sit-in in its traditional location. 

Sean Donovan is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.m.donovan@uconn.edu.