Mamma Mia! Page to Stage has done it again with an electric performance

0
1

The student theater group Page to Stage performs “Mama Mia!” in the Student Union Theater on Sunday, Nov. 10, 2019. Directed by third semester biomedical engineering student, Emily Kilian, both the 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. shows sold out and had the crowd dancing along to the musical numbers in their seats. Photos by Maggie Chafouleas / The Daily Campus.

Everyone was the dancing queen at the University of Connecticut’s theatre group Page to Stage’s most recent production of “Mamma Mia!” The cast and crew had two sold-out shows last night which left the audience dancing in their seats. Based on the music of ABBA, Page to Stage’s cast gave eye-catching choreography to tunes such as “Voulez-Vous,” “Take a Chance on Me” and “Super Trouper.”  

Page to Stage has been an outlet for professional and hobbyist actors and actresses alike to expand their skills and love for theatre. The club is open to everyone, not just those studying theatre. Jason Boghosian, a first-semester actuarial science major, took a risk and landed the role of Sky Rymand. 

“This was my first show, ever. A lot of us have done shows and/or were involved with them in high school but our club has very few, if any, theatre majors.” Boghosian said. 

“I think that’s the cool thing about club theatre on campus,” said Nick Bennett, a seventh-semester psychology and HDFS major, who played Sam Carmichael. “We really try to provide a place for non-theatre majors to have a creative outlet.”  

Page to Stage was excited to show off their hard work, as they practiced religiously every Monday and Wednesday from 7 p.m. until 9 p.m., and then every Sunday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Alongside these rehearsals came conflict. When asked about the cast and crew’s struggles, they chuckled and immediately had something that come to mind. 

“‘Mamma Mia!’ has a lot of dancing, you really have to be a mover to be in this show. Our choreographer, Rachel Nadell, is amazing. While the dancing is really insane, she handled it really well,” said Boghosian. 

“The space is something we really struggle with every year,” said Misha Jethwa, a seventh-semester economics and political science major, who was the assistant director of the production.   

“The student union stage is pretty small and we only rehearsed in there around four or five times. Every other rehearsal we have been in a classroom which is a little challenging because you don’t get a full grip on how big the stage is,” Jethwa said.  

Page to Stage does not shy from producing engaging and energetic shows, as past productions include shows like “Rocky Horror Picture Show” and “Into the Woods.” Alongside their winter musicals, Page to Stage puts on a staged play every spring.  

When asked about theatre superlatives, the group threw Austin Cappetta, who played Bill Anderson, under the bus as “most likely to be late to rehearsal.” The cast also believes Ben Kemp and Cassandra Gerace, who play the side friends of Sky and Sophie, are most like their characters.  

For who is most different from their character, Bennett took a stand.  

“I’m not used to playing a 40-year-old divorced man, who’s a little bit salty about the whole thing, so I’m gonna have to give that to myself,” Bennett said.  

And last, but not least, the cast is dead-set on who they think Sophie’s real father is. 

“It’s Harry, I’ve written an essay on it. I have analyzed the texts; it’s Harry,” said Billy Nicol, a seventh-semester communications and CSE major, who played Harry Bright.  

Although Sophie’s real father still remains a mystery, “Mamma Mia!” and Page to Stage’s productions never fail to create an energetic and, fun show.  

Caroline LeCour is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at caroline.lecour@uconn.edu.