UConn students to host first Global Health Hackathon

0
1

The annual HackUConn Hackathon took place in the Next Gen hall makerspace. Student groups create presentations within a time frame of 24 hours around the topic of allergy.  File Photo / The Daily Campus.

The annual HackUConn Hackathon took place in the Next Gen hall makerspace. Student groups create presentations within a time frame of 24 hours around the topic of allergy. File Photo / The Daily Campus.

This weekend, the University of Connecticut Global Health Spaces on Campus is holding a Global Health Hackathon, in which participants will spend the weekend attempting to create applications to help solve global health issues. The event, organized by Global Health Spaces on Campus (GloHSOC), will begin this Friday at 3 p.m. in Werth Tower. 

This is the first time the Global Health Hackathon is being held. Amisha Paul, a third semester physiology and neurobiology major with a global health minor and executive director of GloHSOC, said that the inspiration for the event came from GloHSOC’s interest in getting more people from across campus involved in global health problems. 

“Our purpose for doing a hackathon was to engage diversity in the field of global health,” Paul said. “We believe that global health is a diverse field with complex problems that require innovative and interdisciplinary solutions.” 

According to the GloHSOC website, this year’s hackathon will focus on issues involving the relationship between human health and the environment, including air and water pollution, natural disasters, climate change and natural resource scarcity.  

The hackathon culminates in group presentations with the opportunity to earn prizes up to $750. In addition to the working period, the event also features a keynote speaker and a participant mixer.  

The GloHSOC planning process involved meeting with the team over the summer, Paul said. 

“We started meeting in the summer to decide on a theme that was very interconnected with global health issues and also had interest from the UConn community,” Paul said. “We then got sponsorships from many departments and programs on campus, including the School of Business, School of Engineering, InCHIP, CCEI, Honors Program, USG, First Year Programs & Learning Communities, Honors to Opportunities Learning Community. We then found judges and invited participants from across campus!” 

GloHSOC, which itself is a relatively new organization, has also organized a Global Health Symposium for the past two years.  

“GloHSOC was created in 2018 by a group of passionate undergraduate students from many departments and schools at UConn, all united by a common goal to create an open forum for discussing issues related to the health of individuals around the world,” Paul said.  

Students interested in participating in the event can sign up at glohsoc.uconn.edu.  

Grace McFadden is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at grace.mcfadden@uconn.edu.