Anime + NYC = An amazing weekend

0
18

Anime NYC convention was held on Nov. 15-17 at the Jacob Javits Convention Center. This year the convention doubled in size with more exhibitors, panels, and special guests.  Photo courtesy of    showclix.com

Anime NYC convention was held on Nov. 15-17 at the Jacob Javits Convention Center. This year the convention doubled in size with more exhibitors, panels, and special guests. Photo courtesy of showclix.com

Anime NYC convention to be held this weekend.
If you like anime and New York City, then definitely check out Anime NYC this weekend, Nov. 15 through 17, at the Jacob Javits Convention Center. Tickets are still available, ranging from weekend passes ($75) to single day ($45-60). Back for its third year, Anime NYC has doubled in size and delivers more exhibitors, panels and special guests than ever before.  

Not that this convention needs any more hype, but here are some of the top events to expect this weekend: 

EAST COAST PREMIERE OF “WEATHERING WITH YOU” 

Photo courtesy of    animenyc.com

Photo courtesy of animenyc.com

Anime NYC, powered by Crunchyroll and GKIDS Films, will present director Makoto Shinkai’s latest film. The east coast premiere of “Weathering With You” will serve as Anime NYC’s closing film, being presented two months before its North American theatrical release in January. “Weathering With You” is also Japan’s official submission for the Academy Award for Best International Film at the 92nd Academy Awards, the first animation selected for this honor since Hayao Miyazaki’s “Princess Mononoke.”  

“Weathering With You” will be shown at 3 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 17 inside the 2,000-seat Anime NYC’s Special Events Hall. An Anime NYC weekend or Sunday badge will be required, but there is no additional cost to attend the premiere. 

VIZ ORIGINALS PORTFOLIO REVIEWS 

Photo courtesy of    peopleofcon.com

Photo courtesy of peopleofcon.com

VIZ Originals is offering portfolio reviews onsite at conventions nationwide and will be at this year’s Anime NYC. VIZ Originals is a new imprint of VIZ Media, an American manga publisher that helped bring titles like “My Hero Academia” and “One Punch Man” to Western audiences, is now dedicated to publishing original graphic novels developed by manga-inspired creators. At VIZ, employees love manga and are looking for dynamic paneling, skillful black-and-white artwork and compelling stories that keep readers hooked.  

If you are a creator interested in publishing with VIZ, the portfolio review is a great opportunity to meet with editors and get feedback on your creative work.  

To give them the best idea of your talents, here are some tips for your portfolio:  

For artists, you should bring a portfolio that includes samples of sequential works that best highlight your art style and storytelling. Make sure to only include finished pieces, not sketch or concept work. Lastly, while some fan work is okay, your portfolio will shine if you highlight your original character art pieces. 

For writers, your portfolio should contain samples of sequential works that best highlight your writing and story ideas. List your creative writing work – some prose and fan work is okay – just note that VIZ Originals can only consider writing samples in English at this time.  

You must be at least 18 years old and already a registered attendee of the show to get into the event. Further details on the review process can be found here.

LANTIS MATSURI CONCERT – SOLD OUT* 

Photo courtesy of    crunchyroll.com

Photo courtesy of crunchyroll.com

(*While the Lantis Matsuri at Anime NYC is sold out, you can see all of Lantis’s performers on stage for a special panel on Sat., Nov. 16) 

Anime NYC welcomes the globally renowned Lantis Matsuri concert series to NYC for the first-time next weekend. This special concert at NYC’s largest Japanese pop culture convention will celebrate the 20th Anniversary of Japanese music label Lantis and feature popular anime song or “anisong” performers JAM Project, TRUE, ZAQ and Guilty Kiss from Love Live! Sunshine!! Aqours! 

Lantis Matsuri 2019 at Anime NYC will take place at 7:30 p.m. on Fri., Nov. 15 in the Special Events Hall of the Javits Center. 

Lantis is a Japanese music label founded in 1999 focused on anisong music. Anisong is the Japanese contraction of the words “anime” and “song” used to denote the original and remixed versions of Japanese animated tv/film show theme music. Lantis has published two decades of hit music, including themes from Azumanga Daioh, Bungo Stray Dogs, Free!, THE iDOLM@STER and many more. Lantis Matsuri 2019 at Anime NYC is a continuation of Lantis’s popular concert series, which welcomed some of the biggest performers in Japan. The 20th anniversary of Lantis Matsuri was held across three days in June in Tokyo and showcased over 70 musical performers from all over Japan. 

Lantis is also the lead organizer of the Anisong World Matsuri concert series, which took place last year at Anime NYC. This year’s Lantis Matsuri is a continuation of this celebration. It is a tribute to Lantis’s storied history and a look ahead into the next evolution of anisong concert. 

Not sure you want to commit to three whole days filled with anime? Here are some events that Anime NYC is offering off-site throughout the city this weekend: 

MEET THE CREATORS OF DR. STONE: RIICHIRO INAGAKI & BOICHI 

Photo courtesy of    otoquest.com

Photo courtesy of otoquest.com

Kinokuniya New York, in partnership with VIZ Media is excited to announce that the creators of “Dr. STONE,” Riichiro Inagaki (writer) and Boichi (artist) will be appearing at Kinokuniya Bookstore for a signing event during Anime NYC on Fri., Nov. 15.  

Customers will get a choice of having one book signed by both creators or the free shikishi (a traditional Japanese-style, square illustration board) that will be provided at the event. No photographs or videos are allowed.  

To participate, customers who buy a book from the “Dr. STONE” series on the day of the event will get a wristband that allows them into the signing that evening. Signing is limited to the first 100 people with a wristband so first come, first serve. 

CLUB LOVE LIVE! ANIME NYC 2019 OFFICIAL AFTERPARTY 
Anime NYC has partnered again with SONICBOOMBOX to present the third annual Official Anime NYC Afterparty – with their theme this year being the popular idol anime, Love Live! 

Photo courtesy of    animenyc.com

Photo courtesy of animenyc.com

The afterparty will be hosted at this Saturday, Nov. 16 from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. at SPiN, located at 48 E 23rd St, New York, NY 10010.  An Anime NYC badge is not required, but you must be 21+ to attend. Admission is $10 for early bird and $20 regular price and at the door. Spend the night partying to a blend of the best idol, anisong and club music around – plus free Ping Pong, a photobooth, prizes and much more. 

So whether you’re a full-on hardcore otaku anime fan or a casual scrub like the rest of us, Anime NYC offers an outlet for that nerdiness this weekend and go beyond any expectations of a typical anime convention. 

 For Anime NYC’s full schedule, special guest list and tickets, visit www.animenyc.com, and for the latest news and updates, follow Anime NYC on Facebook and on Twitter and Instagram at @AnimeNYC. 

Anna Marini is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus at the Waterbury campus. She can be reached via email at anna.marini@uconn.edu.