‘#ILookLikeADoctor’ looks at women in the medical field

0
0
exc-5dca1f5692a7e01852f52e64

UConn student Tanya Miller created “#IlookLikeADoctor” that was shown at Konover Auditorium on Monday.  Photos by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus

UConn student Tanya Miller created “#IlookLikeADoctor” that was shown at Konover Auditorium on Monday. Photos by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus

“#IlookLikeADoctor”,” a student film, was shown at Konover Auditorium on Monday. The film was created by Tanya Miller, a seventh semester physiology and neurobiology major, and encourages young women who are interested in medicine to consider becoming physicians.  

“I am a part of the Bold Women’s Leadership Network and being a part of this program gives you an opportunity to do a project that will somehow make the world a better place,” Miller said. “So over the years being involved with the pre-health groups, I thought a film about representation would be really important because I have enjoyed making films for fun. So I thought that through this program, it would be a really great opportunity to help inspire other young women to go on to become doctors if that’s what they want to do. So hopefully in this film, all young women watching this can see themselves in at least one of the doctors.”  

The audience was filled with Miller’s friends and family, along with several interested students.  

Photos by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus

“I decided to come to tonight’s event because I personally know Tanya and I know the amount of work that she was about to put into this,” Kevin Okifo, a seventh-semester biology major, said. “The subject of the film is something that is very interesting to me because I’m a black student, so I’m always interested in seeing marginalized or underrepresented groups get the recognition or get the voice that they don’t usually always have. Also I am pre-med so the film “#ILookLikeADoctor” showing different perspectives from different women in the field, this is just something that is really important to me, especially when black women only represent 2% of all doctors in the country. It was something that I’m really excited to see and I know the brand and caliber of work that Tanya is going to put in.” 

The doctors featured in the movie included Dr. Camelia Lawrence of The Hospital of Central Connecticut and MidState Medical Center, Dr. Cynthisa D’Alessandri-Silva of Connecticut Children’s Hospital, Dr. Nita Ahuja of Yale New Haven Hospital, Dr. Nancy Yen Shipley of Multnomah Orthopedic Clinic and Dr. Yvette Martas of OB/GYN Associates. 

D’Alessandri-Silva, Lawrence and Miller answered questions from the audience after the film. Topics brought up include diversity training, mental health in the medical community and patient quotas. 

“I loved it. I wasn’t expecting to be so emotional, especially when a lot of the doctors were talking about the problems they faced. Some of the harassment and that stuff kind of resonated with me,” Cyrene Nicholas, a seventh-semester physiology and neurobiology major, said of the film. “It’s a difficult world out there. It was interesting to see people being really honest about [harassment] … There’s not just one direct pathway to get there and you can come from any background and be a doctor and be what you want.” 

Ian Ward is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at ian.ward@uconn.edu