Need help getting into a closed class? Coursicle can help

0
0
exc-5dcca9631e451264fd921c21

Coursicle, an online app co-founded by Joe Puccio, is designed to help undergraduate and graduate students plan and achieve their ideal class schedule.  Photos provided by Joe Puccio.

Coursicle, an online app co-founded by Joe Puccio, is designed to help undergraduate and graduate students plan and achieve their ideal class schedule. Photos provided by Joe Puccio.

University of Connecticut students can use the online app Coursicle to make sure they get into classes they want or need for the spring 2020 semester, Coursicle co-founder Joe Puccio, said. 

Coursicle helps undergraduate and graduate students plan and achieve their ideal class schedule, Puccio said. One of the main features of the iOS or Android app sends users notifications when seats open up in a class that was previously closed.  

“We’ve written scripts that extract all the course data from each school’s public listing of courses,” Puccio said. “We then present the course data in a much nicer format on Coursicle and regularly check the data to see if a class has newly available seats.” 

Puccio said that Coursicle can help prior to registration by showing many possible schedules with the student’s ideal classes. 

“Coursicle removes a lot of the tedium from schedule planning, because it prevents students from having to manually draw their schedule out by hand or in an Excel document,” Puccio said. “The app also gives students a better shot at getting into classes that fill up quickly, without having to refresh a webpage constantly over the course of months.” 

Coursicle provides a description, credit count, recent professors, semester available, enrollment requirements, class days, average class size and average section numbers for UConn classes in all five campuses. 

According to Coursicle’s website, Coursicle supports over 850 colleges and hundreds of thousands of users as of August 2019. Puccio said that Coursicle launched at UConn for the spring 2018 semester.  

The app was created by a team of recent college graduates because they were tired of the registration systems at their colleges, according to the website. Puccio said that Coursicle can help UConn students.  

“Yes, [there is a need for Coursicle at UConn] and we believe the evidence is that the number of UConn students using Coursicle has increased ten-fold in the last year,” Puccio said.  

Rachel Philipson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.philipson@uconn.edu.