‘Green Eggs and Ham:’ Netflix’s newest grand slam

0
2

Would you have them with a husky? Would you have them at Busby? Would you, could you, have them at Rowe? Would you, could you, have them in an animated Netflix show? “Green Eggs and Ham” is Netflix’s newest original program that premiered on Nov. 8, and it’s absolutely great. You’ll want to watch it in a box, with a fox, with a mouse and definitely in a house, cozied up on your couch. 

At its core, the 13-episode adventure follows the same premise as the Dr. Seuss book of the same name: Sam-I-Am, a green eggs and ham enthusiast, attempts to get his stubborn companion, Guy-Am-I, to try out the breakfast food. How anyone can spin such a simple storyline into 13 episodes of family-friendly fun is beyond comprehension, but creator Jared Stern did it. Aside from an ultra-catchy theme song by Weezer frontman Rivers Cuomo, the animated series features an incredible voice cast that features Keegan-Michael Key, Tracy Morgan, Eddie Izzard, Jillian Bell and Jeffrey Wright. 

The surprisingly well-written plot begins when an endangered animal, called a chickeraffe, is stolen from a zoo. Sam (Adam Devine) and Guy (Michael Douglas) cross paths, leading them on an adventure to save the animal. Guy is a failed inventor who gives up on his dream to pursue a monotonous job that will actually provide him with an income. Sam is the same upbeat character, but it’s revealed from the beginning that he’s somewhat of an outcast with no friends or family. Sam and Guy’s adventure runs parallel and intertwines with the lives of Michellee (Diane Keaton), an extremely overprotective mother, and E.B. (Ilana Glazer), her daughter who simply wants to have fun for once.  

Yes, the series is directed towards kids with its silly characters, colorful displays and whimsical humor — but its material is just witty enough it’s genuinely enjoyable for adults too. The surreal and witty comedy provides older viewers with something to actually laugh at. There’s cameos from smaller Dr. Seuss characters, like the fish from “One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish” that make it a fun watch for those who grew up reading Dr. Seuss. There’s even a couple enjoyable references to “Les Miserables” and the “Shawshank Redemption” within an episode.  

Each episode’s title is a reference to lines from the original book which dictates what the episode is going to center around. The show is self-aware and can often break the fourth wall, which lends to its humor. A favorite line of mine is when Guy rejects the green eggs and ham, saying “No! I will not eat them in a car,” to which Sam replies “Okay. That is an oddly specific stance to take on the matter.” 

I initially picked up this show expecting a few hours of solid entertainment but got much more.  There’s subtle themes of romance, belonging and acceptance that actually makes viewers empathize with characters. There are, surprisingly enough, a couple heart wrenching moments and twists that lend to the show’s great writing. This show is a great watch from start to finish and, dare I say, I do so like “Green Eggs and Ham.” 

Rating: 5/5 

Thumbnail photo courtesy of Netflix YouTube channel.

Brandon Barzola is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at brandon.barzola@uconn.edu.