What to know about the pass/fail course option

0
0

The Office of the Registrar allows students to take a maximum of 12 credits as Pass/Fail for their permanent record.  Photo courtesy of File Photo / The Daily Campus.

The Office of the Registrar allows students to take a maximum of 12 credits as Pass/Fail for their permanent record. Photo courtesy of File Photo / The Daily Campus.

Students who are not on scholastic probation and have earned a minimum of 24 credits are eligible to take a maximum of 12 credits, or three courses, as Pass/Fail for their permanent record, according to the Office of the Registrar website.  

In order to select a course for the Pass/Fail option, students must do so within the first two weeks of the semester. To remove a course from Pass/Fail, students must elect to do so within the first nine weeks of the semester, according to the Office of the Registrar website. 

“I really enjoyed taking a class with the Pass/Fail option because it took some of the pressure off to get a high grade and I was able to focus more on learning the material,” said fifth-semester psychology major Samantha Nielsen.  

The Pass/Fail option is only suitable for elective courses and may not be used to satisfy the General Education Requirement, major or related course requirements, skill requirements, minor requirements, or any other school or college course requirements. Courses taken Pass/Fail might not be accepted should a student change majors or schools, according to the 2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog.  

“I decided to take an extra psychology class Pass/Fail and it definitely was nice to be able to take a class in the subject that I am interested in while being able to focus a lot of my energy on classes for my major,” Nielsen said.  

The process for completing the course is the same as usual; instructors submit a letter grade. The grade is then translated into a “P” if the grade is a D- or above or remains an “F,”  according to the Office of the Registrar website. 

Taking a class Pass/Fail makes that course ineligible for inclusion in semester or cumulative GPA. In situations where a grade for the Pass/Fail class is below a “C,” the student is ineligible for the Dean’s List.  

“I found the guidelines for what classes counted for Pass/Fail to be a little bit confusing, so if you are looking to take a course Pass/Fail I would definitely make sure to look at whether or not you can fit it in with your required classes,” Nielsen said.  

Individual schools and colleges can adopt the Pass/Fail option with or without supplementary restrictions, so students should refer to their specific school or college as well as the Undergraduate Catalog for more detailed information on restrictions. 

EllieAnn Lesko is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ellieann.lesko@uconn.edu.