Bruegger’s Bagels and Jamba Juice close in Storrs Center  

0
0

On Monday, Nov. 11, 2019, Bruegger's Bagles and Jamba Juice closed their doors permanently. Customers were surprised to find that the two stores were no longer in business.  Photo by Erin Knapp / The Daily Campus

On Monday, Nov. 11, 2019, Bruegger’s Bagles and Jamba Juice closed their doors permanently. Customers were surprised to find that the two stores were no longer in business. Photo by Erin Knapp / The Daily Campus

Last week, Downtown Storrs’ Bruegger’s Bagels and Jamba Juice suddenly closed, frustrating customers and employees.  

“According to the director of operations, the reason for closing was that the store wasn’t doing enough business during the school year to make up for the lack of business during the summer, and the store owners felt it was best to close up shop for good,” Mia Jordan, a third-semester environmental engineering major, said. Jordan worked as a shift supervisor at Bruegger’s Bagels from 2017 to 2019.  

Employees and managers of the restaurant were not given much warning of the storefront’s closing before it happened on Nov. 11. 

“I am just about as baffled as everyone else as to why the store closed so suddenly,” said Jordan. “As hard as it is to believe, none of the employees or even the general manager were alerted to the closing of the store until the very last day it was open, causing quite a bit of anger and panic.”  

Students who frequented the breakfast bakery reacted negatively to the news as well. Kathleen Stango, a seventh-semester political science and psychological sciences double major, was upset to hear about the sudden closure, as it was a convenient place for her to buy breakfast in the morning.  

“I personally am pretty upset about the sudden closure of Bruegger’s Bagels and Jamba Juice,” said Stango. “I loved going there in the mornings, because it was so convenient and felt much nicer and had more filling food than Dunkin’.”  

Catherine Steele, a seventh-semester pathobiology major, also routinely visited the bagel shop, and was just as saddened to hear that the store had closed, and was angry that there was no warning before the closing happened. 

“I am heartbroken about it. I would go there several times a week to grab a quick breakfast between classes,” said Steele. “My grandma even bought me a sizable gift card there a few weeks ago for my birthday, and I have a decent amount left on it. It rubs salt in the wound that there was little to no warning about the closing before it happened.”   

“Overall, I just feel like it leaves a bit of a vacuum in Storrs Center,” said Steele.    

Stango fears this vacuum is just the beginning in a series of closed storefronts in Storrs Center that have yet to be replaced by new businesses.  

“My biggest fear is that nothing is going to replace it because it seems as though many places in Downtown Storrs are dying and nothing is coming in to fill the gaps,” said Stango. 

Amanda Kilyk is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached at amanda.kilyk@uconn.edu