Cozy up with what’s coming to Netflix in December

0
1
exc-5de46842c573c502d7065b43

With the holiday season just around the corner and the semester coming to an end, it’s time to figure out what you’re going to watch when you’re cozied up under a pile of blankets. Netflix is bringing some fun titles to its library in December while removing others. Be on the lookout for “Tiffany Haddish: Black Mitzvah,” an original stand-up special, and “A Christmas Prince: The Royal Baby,” the third installment in the trilogy of Christmas films starring Rose McIver.  

Netflix is embracing the holiday season by adding festive titles like “A Cinderella Story: Christmas Wish,” “Home for Christmas” and “A Family Reunion Christmas” to its catalogue. On Dec. 1, the Austin Powers trilogy will be added to Netflix alongside the fourth and final season of “Eastsiders” as well as the 2017 drama and thriller “Sweet Virginia,” starring Jon Bernthal. Anyone in the mood for a nostalgia trip will be delighted to hear that “The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl” will be added to the streaming site. 

A number of Netflix originals will be released in December. Part one of the fifth and final season of “Fuller House” will premiere on Dec. 6 while some may be excited for “Spirit Riding Free: The Spirit of Christmas,” the holiday special for the animated kids series. Premiering on the same day will be the first season of “Glow Up,” a competition show about aspiring makeup artists who navigate through many challenges to win a big prize that will help get them a foothold in the beauty industry. 

Scarlett Johansson and Adam Driver star in “Marriage Story,” directed by Academy Award-nominated filmmaker Noah Baumbach. The film will be added to Netflix on Dec. 6 and follows the story of a married couple going through a divorce while living on opposite sides of the country. 

Ryan Reynolds stars in Michael Bay’s “6 Underground” an action flick that takes place in Italy and, as characteristic of Bay’s films, will feature lots of explosions and car chases. Ronny Chieng, known for his role in “Crazy Rich Asians” and as a Daily Show correspondent, will have his own stand-up special called “Asian Comedian Destroys America!” 

For fans of the popular book and game series, season one of “The Witcher” will premiere on Dec. 20 starring Henry Cavill as the monster hunter Geralt of Rivia. Not much is known about what the show will entail, but early reviews already praise the show for its action and structure. 

John Mulaney fans will be excited for “John Mulaney & The Sack Lunch Bunch,” a musical comedy special where Mulaney will address grown-up topics with a cast of kids. Just in time for the holidays, the special will premiere on Dec. 24. 

Kevin Hart will also have a new docuseries, titled “Don’t F**k This Up,” which follows his life over the last 18 months. This includes everything from the controversy of his homophobic tweets and stepping down from hosting the Oscars to suffering back injuries from a car accident early this year. This will premiere on Dec. 27.

As for what’s leaving Netflix in December, most of the BBC Earth documentaries like “Africa,” “Blue Planet,” “Frozen Planet,” “Life” and “Planet Earth” will be removed from the streaming catalogue.  

Star Wars and Marvel fans will be disappointed to see “Thor: Ragnarok” leaving on Dec. 4 and “The Last Jedi” leaving on Dec. 25, probably to move over to Disney+. Other noteworthy titles to pay attention to before they leave are “Pulp Fiction,” “The Dark Crystal,” “The Crow,” “Schindler’s List,” all 10 seasons of “Frasier” and all five “Rocky” films. 

A full list of what’s coming and leaving Netflix in December can be found at time.com

Thumbnail photo courtesy of @johnmulaney Instagram.

Brandon Barzola is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at brandon.barzola@uconn.edu.