Women’s Hockey: UConn goes winless in Nutmeg Classic

0
1

The UConn’s women’s hockey team finished with a tie of 2-2 against the University of Vermont at the Freitas Ice Forum Friday, Nov. 29. The Huskies picked up a point with the tie, and pushed their unbeaten streak to three games.  Photo by Sofia Sawchuk/The Daily Campus

The UConn’s women’s hockey team finished with a tie of 2-2 against the University of Vermont at the Freitas Ice Forum Friday, Nov. 29. The Huskies picked up a point with the tie, and pushed their unbeaten streak to three games. Photo by Sofia Sawchuk/The Daily Campus

UConn’s losing streak moved to three in a row with losses against Yale and Minnesota Duluth.  

UConn (8-7-1) lost 6-2 against Yale (6-5-0) on Friday in their first matchup in the Nutmeg Classic.  The Huskies came into the matchup looking to rebound from a loss against Boston College, while the Bulldogs were looking to get back into the win column after being shut out by Colgate.  The other matchup in the tournament on Friday was between No.10 Minnesota Duluth (8-6-2) and Quinnipiac (8-6-3), which Quinnipiac won 4-2. 

The Huskies got off to a quick start in the first period, which is an area the team has been inconsistent in so far this season.  The Wabick twins worked together to score UConn’s first goal of the game to put the Huskies up 1-0 over the Bulldogs.  The goal was scored by Taylor Wabick, her second goal of the year, with an assist going to Morgan Wabick. 

UConn struck again not long after, scoring their second goal of the first period less than four minutes later to take a quick 2-0 lead.  The goal was scored Natalie Snodgrass.  Briana Colangelo and Tristyn Svetek received assists.  UConn finished the first period with seven shots taken. 

The Bulldogs got off to a quiet start, allowing the Huskies to grab the momentum early.  However, the Bulldogs got one goal back halfway through the first period.  The goal was scored by Saroya Tinker.  The goal helped Yale to find its rhythm, and they finished the period with eight shots taken. 

Yale caught fire on the offensive end in the second period, scoring three goals.  The first goal came four minutes into the start of the period to tie the game up at 2-2.  The goal was scored by Greta Skarzynski.  The Bulldogs second goal of the period was scored by Charlotte Welch, to take a 3-2 lead.  Welch struck again in the final minute of the second period to give Yale a 4-2 lead with her second goal of the game. 

UConn was held scoreless in the second period.  The Huskies had plenty of chances to score on the offensive end but were unable to convert those chances.  The Huskies took 10 shots in the second period. 

After a strong performance on both ends of the ice in the second period, it was clear that the momentum was in Yale’s favor.  Skarzynski scored her second goal of the game to give the Bulldogs a 5-2 lead.  On the defensive end, the Bulldogs were bending but not breaking.  The Huskies took nine shots in the period but were not able to capitalize on their opportunities.  Yale would score one more goal to take a 6-2 lead, which would be the final score of the game. 

After losing to Yale on Friday UConn would be playing No.10 Minnesota Duluth next.  For both teams this matchup was a chance to redeem themselves after losing their previous games.   

UConn got things started early, taking a quick 1-0 lead over the Bulldogs, just like they did against Yale.  The goal was scored by Savannah Bouzide, her fourth of the year.  Jessie Aney and Kaitlyn Yearwood assisted on the play.  UConn finished the first period with 11 shots.   

The Bulldogs on the other hand were shut out in the first period.  Minnesota Duluth finished the period with nine shots taken.   

Minnesota Duluth looked like a completely different team on offense in the second period.  The offense finished the period with a whopping 18 shots taken on offense.  The Bulldogs were winning the possession battle, forcing the Huskies to spend more energy on the defensive end. 

The Bulldogs first goal of the game came midway through the second period to tie the game at 1-1.  The goal was scored by Ashton Bell.  A little over eight minutes later the Bulldogs scored their second goal of the game to take a 2-1 lead over UConn.  The goal was scored by Sydney Brodt.  UConn was held scoreless in the third period, finishing with nine shots taken. 

Minnesota Duluth did not take their foot off the gas as they went on to score three goals in the period.  Sydney Brodt, Kailee Skinner and Kylie Hanley scored the three goals for the Bulldogs.  The Bulldogs’ third goal of the first period gave Minnesota Duluth a 5-1 lead, which proved to be too much for the Huskies to overcome.  UConn took 15 shots in the third period but the puck wasn’t falling for the Huskies.   

UConn’s next game is against Providence College on Thursday at 6 p.m. in Providence. 

Joshua Gorman is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.gorman@uconn.edu. He tweets @joshuagorman15.