‘Living Well’ for finals week

0
0

UConn’s Residence Hall Association hosted “Living Well: A Finals Wellness Event” to reduce finals stress.  Photo by Molly Potter/The Daily Campus

UConn’s Residence Hall Association hosted “Living Well: A Finals Wellness Event” to reduce finals stress. Photo by Molly Potter/The Daily Campus

A snowstorm scare and the impending stress of the upcoming final exams is a lot for students to handle right out of the gate after Thanksgiving break, but there are definitely some ways for you to prepare yourself academically, mentally and emotionally for the end of the semester. Last night in the Werth Tower Forum, UConn’s Residence Hall Association (RHA) hosted “Living Well: A Finals Wellness Event” to provide students with a relaxing space to destress and put themselves in the right mindset for finals. The resources they provided, along with the following study tips at the end of the article should help you get started on a conducive and productive final exams plan. 

“We collabed with USG [Undergraduate Student Government] Student Services, Diversability and Active Minds to provide stress-free activities for students to partake in,” Kailee Heinrich, a fifth-semester political science and American studies double major and president of RHA, said. “We wanted to do this event to give students a space to destress before finals and to come back and relax after Thanksgiving break.” The organizations all had their own tables at the event with members to talk to and provide wellness resources. 

Along with a trainer-led yoga session, there was a Bigelow tea table with free promotional items and a buffet of various tea packets and hot water for students to brew their own cups. If that wasn’t students’ cup of tea, there was also free mason jars to fill up with hot cocoa powder and toppings like chocolate chips, marshmallows, candy canes and cinnamon for them to stock up for warm cups in the cold days ahead.  

“The goal [of this event] was to promote ways to destress, which is especially important as finals are practically upon us, and I feel like we were able to successfully do that,” Kanu Caplash, a fifth-semester biological sciences major and co-chairperson of the USG Mental Health and Wellness Subcommittee, said. “Practices like yoga are great for self-care. Overall it seemed like people really enjoyed the event and we even got some more people to join the Mental Health & Wellness Subcommittee!” 

Diversability, a student group on campus that “seek[s] to create spaces to discuss ability, disability, access and inclusion” was also available for student support. Group member Justin Claspell, a fifth-semester psychology major, describes the club as “an open place for [them] to come together and talk about and advocate for mental health awareness and disabilities.” 

“Our meetings are like support groups, almost, where people can come and talk about advocacy and accessibility,” Morgan Wicken, a seventh-semester human development and family sciences major, and Jordan Cook, a seventh-semester animal science major, said. “The crazy thing is, 14 % of people on campus have come to talk to the CSD about disabilities, but it’s more likely that around 28% of our student body has a disability and just won’t talk about it.” 

“We program for the entire on-campus student body,” Heinrich said about RHA, which oversees the individual hall associations each respective residential hall has. “Some of our upcoming events [include] a welcome back to campus event on the first day of classes next semester and we’re going to be doing a Valentine’s day ice skating event at the ice rink in February. Our big event in the spring, ‘UConnapalooza,’ is during Spring Weekend, so check us out!” 

Hollie Lao is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu